Radio Conversions

Mr Riviera

Guest fourholer

Hi Dick,

I had my radio switched on my '51 Roadmaster. I was tired of burning up vibrators (insert joke here) so I had my radio converted. I can now play FM stations as well as AM. There is even a wire for an Ipod. The only difference is that their is a tiny light that was placed on the station dial that lights up when you have found a station. It was not cheap but it was worth the peace of mind.

You really cannot tell the difference because except for the inner-workings, it is still the same radio. My only complaint is that they had to change out the speaker and the original speaker (when the radio worked) sounded better. They can convert your radio even if your electrics are 6v.

By the way, I also had a quartz movement placed in my clock and that was well worth it to.

It's funny, I don't regret spending the money on the radio but I much prefer listening to the purr of the straight 8.

Rod

I had the radio switched over to AM/FM a while back. The unfortunate thing for me was that when I ran out of gas in the left lane of a busy highway, I didn't have the time to turn off the radio before trying to really goose the car to the shoulder. Starting your car with the radio on will blow it up, it says so in the instructions several times in REALLY BIG LETTERS! Guess what. It blew up. My fault, of course. I don't feel like pulling it back out. Still looks good.

Dunno Dick,

But in preparation for heading to the Nats next week, I tried replacing the fuse. I saw a glimmer of light, then the fuse popped. I assume I blew a part of the solid state circuitry, which is why I haven't taken it back out. Aw shucks! (This may not be what I actually said...)

The iPod attachment is something I wish I had. Maybe I will send it out again once I get back and have that feature added.