How to disassemble Ross steering worm? (pics)

I've got a 1929 President FH steering box for the Indy car project. It must have sat in wet mud for a few decades because there was no grease inside, only fine sand and rust. I was able to push the cross shaft out with a hydraulic press. There was a threaded cap on the end of the housing where the steering column came out - it took two people, with a giant pipe wrench and 5 ft pieces of extender pipe to unscrew the thing after 80 years. There were also 3 tubes, one inside the other, that went down inside the steering shaft to actuate timing and hand throttle. Fortunately, those were still greasy enough not to have rusted. I won't be needing them, though.

ross_steering_1929_studebaker.jpg

I pulled the snap ring at the far end and slid the steering shaft and worm out. There are about 16 loose bearing balls at each end with a cup on the outside and the mating races machined into the ends of the worm. Of course, the balls and cups are toast and the races on the worm are pitted badly. I'm hoping someone can regrind the race areas and clean up the worm surfaces. The screw-in cap would take up any lost length on the worm. Maybe the entire worm can be replaced. Am I dreaming?

ross_steering_222982.jpg

It would be easier to ship the pieces to a rebuilder if I could get the worm off the shaft. There appears to be a 2" long sleeve that fits inside the end of the worm at the far end. The sleeve has a thin flange on the outer end with fine star-like teeth all around. Does this sleeve unscrew with a special socket wrench to release the worm? Anyone know a good steering rebuilder for Ross boxes? This box has casting number 222892. If anyone had another of these or a 222894 or a 1931 or later President box with a ball-bearing pin on the worm follower, I would be very interested.

Guest 1928DictatorGE

Are you going to be using the horn butto/center console portion with the levers and rods? I have a '28 Dictator that needs them. Thanks! Keith

No, I won't be using them. The tubes are OK except the top of the largest of the three, but that can be fixed. The button and the stack under it are ugly. I don't see any levers, must be long gone. I'll send you a PM with my phone number, etc.