Running Rich vs Lean

Guest ZombyWoof

Guest ZombyWoof

I've never messed around with this, but what factors depend on where you'd want this set?

Type of climate? Type of driving? Typle of fuel?

Or just whatever "runs" right?

The mixture screws only adjust idle mixture, not driving mixture. So adjust them for a smooth idle, whatever works.

To adjust running mixture you change out the metering rods and the main jets.

Guest pfloro

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never messed around with this, but what factors depend on where you'd want this set?

Type of climate? Type of driving? Typle of fuel?

Or just whatever "runs" right?</div></div>

I'm not an expert by any means but these are some things I've read & experienced over the years:

In terms of proper combustion, the engine needs to have just enough oxygen to 'burn' all fuel mixed with it. Hey..., it's a chemical reaction which produces heat and expands the air in the cylinder... Too little 02 and you are running rich, too much O2 and you're running lean. A properly setup carb for a given engine should handle all driving conditions without a problem. I understand that today's ethanol blends (ie: E10) might requires a little tweaking on older cars (pre-WWII). If you live at a high altitude (> 10,000' ?), the carb needs to be set-up to compensate for the less dense air.

Hope this info helps.

Paul