1947 super coolant leaking on passanger floor

I was working on my 47 over the weekend and after I was done, as I preparing for a ride with my wife I noticed the passanger side front floor was wet with coolant. I checked the heater valve and defroster core and can see no leaks, I removed the seat and don't see any indication the core is leaking, infact the dampness is pretty much towards the firewall and the right sill area.

One other thing the repairs I was doing involved the distributor and timing adjustments, and one time during one of my many road tests the engine got pretty hot, about 200 degrees, not sure if this could have caused it or not. If anyone has any input it would be appreciated.

Don BCA# 40498

Guest Andynator

Don,

Are you sure it is coolant? Do you have the hydro-lectric windows in that car? I know the '47 convertibles do, not sure what car you have.

On my '49 the hydraulic line in the door is steel, but there is a kink at the end where it runs into the door frame opening and up under the instrument panel. If you peek inside the frame opening you can see a fabric-covered hose about a foot long that connects the steel lines together and flexes when the door is opened. After 50 years my hose finally gave up and cracked, when I ran the window down instead of flowing back into the reservior it leaked out down the passenger-side footwell and kick panel.

Just throwing it out there,

Andy

Guest Andynator

Well at least you figured it out, that's a start!!

Blot out as much as you can with towels then try a good foaming upholstery cleaner in a spray can. It might help lift the oil up out of the fibers. You may also take up the sill plate and try to pull the carpet up to get at it from underneath.

If it is oil then you are lucky. The previous owner of my car filled the whole hydraulic system with brake fluid and the leak from the broken hose ate all the paint off the passenger-side rocker frown.gif

Good luck,

Andy

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Bob Call

Get a bag of kitty litter, one with a clay base, same stuff as oil dry but a lot cheaper. Sprinkle generously and let is set a day or so. Then vacuum it up and reapply fresh litter. Repeat until litter no longer absorbs oil. Then use the aerosol foam carpet cleaner.

--------------------------------------------

We'll all be drinkin' that free Bubble Up and eating that rainbow stew. Merle Haggard 1981

http://www.cmt.com/videos/merle-haggard/26454/rainbow-stew.jhtml