53 Oldsmobile starter problems

Guest Julian

Guest imported_Julian

<span style="font-weight: bold">A friend of mine has a 53 Olds.. He tells me that the starter keeps kicking out before it will finally engage and start the car. He has had the starter off the car numerous times and had it checked in several different shops and he is told the same thing.. nothing wrong with the starter. The engine has not been rebuilt and turns freely. Why does the original starter KEEP kicking out before finally engaging and starting the car. Also. how do you FIX it?? </span>

Does the starter motor engage and then kick out without starting the engine or does it not engage without several trys. If the drive engages and kicks out early it is probably worn out. If it dosen't engage properly every time it could be the drive or the ring gear. Or is it simply a poor electrical connection somewhere that does not fully energize the starting motor.

Guest imported_pete324rock

I have had this happen but it isn't the starter but a bad connection-usually at the positive post on the battery but in theory,it could happen anywheres along the line. If you want to at least eliminate that possible scenerio, then take a direct feed from the positive,crawl underneath and apply to the main terminal of the starter with the key on. Thats sounds tough and it would be easier to double check the connections. You see ,when the current flows heavy, you may get the initial oumph of the starter but short lived with a bad connection.And then when you let off the key,it can allow enough juice to flow to keep the instrument lights on fooling you. Also, of course remember there is also a solenoid involved. But all in all,a direct link will rule out the starter.( me -56 olds, similar)