Side mount spare locks

RobV

I have a set of side mount spare locks that are for my '29 DA, but a search on the web doesn't turn up any information on these. They are basically long rods that lock with a key into holders on both sides of the spare wheel. Has anyone seen these before? Where they aftermarket pieces? Any info at all would help greatly.

Thanks,

RobV

These were large chunks of rust a couple days ago. I used glass bead to clean off the worst of it, and was surprised at how they were made. The 'head'(where the locking portion is located) is pinned to a long rod, allowing the rod to move about 10 degrees in all directions so that the rod can align with the hole on the other side of the wheel. The lock itself just moves a wedge shaped pin that locks into a groove in the outer hole. One lock barrel is ok, but the other fell out in pieces. I'm trying to find replacement lock barrels. I hope I won't have to make them.

Guest 1930

Those locks are very difficult to find, I have only seen one ( which I aquired a few years ago ) The straight rod is the version I am told was used with wodden wheels, the bent version should be wire wheel version, you have wires but maybe at one point your car had wood wheels. Alot of these cars were converted as alot of people prefer the look of wire. I have already had made a replacement lock which I would trade for your broken unit if you are interested, I have a spare lock cylinder assy that I have been trying to find a lock assy to work with. Let me know if you are interested. Pict. below is the original and the repro. They are identical in every way except for the keys and the material.

post-48869-143138074333_thumb.jpg

Guest 1930

By the way, these were not aftermarket but were dealer installed and at one point depending on prod. # I believe were shipped with car from factory depending on how the particular car was manuf. I believe that I have a couple of bulletins that will show this but I would need to look into it to be 100%

1930, those look identical to mine, pinned and all. the pinned joint has some wobble to them.

I would trade, but only have two units and need them for the dual mounts on my car. I'm going to cast some new lock cylinders from the remaining good origial. If all goes well, then I should be able to drop the original tumblers from the disintegrated lock into the new cylinder. If it works, would you like one to key to your original?

The more I look at the car, I have to agree that it's factory equipment. The recieving hole on the backside of the spare is cast into the spare mount support. pic of mounts

Guest 1930

I have already an original key for my original lock but I would need to fabricate an original key for new lock assy I have. One other thing that you should have which I dont is a spring that fits inside of your front faceplate of the lock holder, if you have this than let me know, I may need to get with you somehow so I can have a couple made for myself

Both sides have the spring, and they are still in good shape. I will try to pull one in the next couple of days and get measurements and pics of the spring shape and wire diameter.

So the stock locks would not be keyed alike? I'm making the molds for the lock part that holds the tumblers and accepts the key, the part in the middle. It seems to be the weakest section of the whole assembly.

Guest 1930

The locks would be keyed alike, if you order a copy of your build sheet from Daimler Chrysler on it will tell you your original key codes if the car originally even had sidemounts. All sorts of other info as well

Jason, where did you find the info about wire and wood wheels useing differant locks? Jack's and my car have straight and Harry's car has bent, but all three have wire wheels. We thought it was just another "no two DBs alike" thing. In McPherson's book it looks like all wood wheeled cars have rear spares, but I've never seen that it was the only way you could get them.

Guest 1930

Not sure where I have found that but I have given it some thought this past day and I am pretty sure that it is correct as I mentioned. Are you telling me that your wire wheels will accept the straight rod like the ones I have shown in the picture above??

McPherson's book it looks like all wood wheeled cars have rear spares, but I've never seen that it was the only way you could get them.

Not sure what you mean here, maybe you misunderstood something I had said, my car originally came with wood wheels and it is a sidemount spare with straight rod spare tire lock.

1930, The wires will work with straight rods like in your picture. The two locks I have with my car are straight. If you look at the pic in the link I posted above, you can see that if I rotate the wheel just a little I have a straight shot through the spokes to the rear mount. The rim sits low enough to clear the rod.

Guest outlaw car man

My 32 DL6 has wood wheels with side mounts , trunk rack & a trunk. The side mounts have " bent" rods and working locks. There is also a lug type bolt and chromed wheel covers.

OCM

Guest 1930

I see, well it sure looks to be right, I will have to find that info that I mentioned having about how the two types were originally used but it is good to know that the straight rod will work on wire also.

OCM why do you feel that your rods have the bend in them, what does it accomplish, you say you have wood wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

A late call ... but IF you get any spares, I am interested for a DA roadster in Oz. I have the front blocks that take the lock mechanism, but no rear blocks or locking rods on either side. As you say, impossible to source. I have been looking for a decent photo of a finished assembly to see how difficult remaking them might be.

Lenny,

The front block, I assume, is the one to the outside of the fender. The lock on my '29 Deluxe slides into a hole at the base of the vertical spare wheel support on the backside of the wheel. So, the rear block is the support itself.

I saw a reproduction lock assembly somewhere, I'll see if I can remember where.

Rob

Lenny,

Well they aren't cheap, but Vintage has them. http://www.vintageandclassicreproductions.com/Dodge.htm

Look under the 29 DA section and it's part DOD-139. They only show the lock section, but if you need, I can give you the length and diameter of the rod that is pinned to my locks. It wouldn't be hard to cross-drill a piece of rod and pin it to the lock.

On the bright side, they are in Oz, so you would save on shipping time smile.gif

Hi RobV,

Thanks for that. Pricey is right! I would appreciate the diameter of the locking rod ... also the longer vertical rod that goes up to the top clamp. I can't see how that attaches at the bottom end. Does the locking rod pass through it, or does it also screw into the rear block (which is missing on mine)?

Lenny,

I'm in the process of replacing all of the tires on the car so I will take a couple pics of the lock mounts without a tire in the way. Also, I will measure the rod and get those posted with the pics.

Rob

Guest 1930

I have not looked lately to see what Glen charges for these now but even if it were 200 bucks it would not be enough considering the amount of machine work/ time that would go into making these on a small prod. scale like he does. Anyway I am the guy that talked him into making these in the first place because at the time I had given up on ever finding an original so I already had this rough drawing of what it is supposed to look like including rough but close enough dimensions, hope this helps

post-48869-143138076905_thumb.jpg