1929 Dodge DA6 - new questions

Hi, I have 2 new questions for my 1929 Dodge DA6

1) I have just dropped the oil pan. I know the bearings were rebabbitted 30 years ago and the car has had less than 1000 miles since. First, how do I remove the sludge in the pan....I saw a few sites on newer vehicles, but nothing on an antique vehicle....I thought I could just wipe it out, but there is 2 levels to the oil pan and I can't get to much of the lower level. Second, there is some kind of gasket centered on the rear main bearing and half of it is dislodged. It may have happened when I pulled down the oil pan...I think I can wedge it in with a screwdriver. It looks like a vertical inner rear part of the pan supports it. I hate to torque down the rear bearing there as I would have to torque down all the bearings.....do you think just shoving it back in place will work and let the oil pan continue to support it?...hope all this makes sense.

2) I am looking at the rubber on the doors,; very brittle. There is a rubber "flap" at the top and bottom of the doors that seals the door to the body. There is a continuous rubber glass stop at the top of the window that can be removed by unscrewing a metal panel at the top of the door. I think there is rubber holding the glass to the rising bottom window channel. Lastly, there is the fuzzy window channel on both sides of the window. Does anyone know where I can get this rubber? I have looked at many sites. Many are confusing as some of the rubber on their sites look like mine, but made for cars of the 40's or 50's.....just not sure what to get or if anything made for these cars.

Any help is much appreciated.

Guest 1930

The pan can be cleaned easily with kerosine, you might find pinholes though after doing so, not sure what seal you are talking about, I imagining that it is the rearward pan seal but unsure at this point. The rubbers as far as I know are unavailable, I also have a set and I have not tackled that issue yet, you are lucky to have them as most cars are missing them, the top plate is unscrewed to as you said remove the rubber but also for glass removal, the window whiskers are readily avail from repor shops, you just have to shop around to get as close a match as you have. Hope this helps

Thanks , Jason, I did upend the oil pan and a lot of the crud seemed to flow out onto newspaper and rags which I need to dispose of... I'll try the kerosene and maybe somehow spray it to work the rest of the crud out....no pinholes I can see...a very stout pan.

Yeah, that seal isn't the outermost seal that screws to the transmission housing and protects from the elements. It it an inner seal that probably protects the oil in the pan from going into the transmission / flywheel area...it's like the inner vertical part of the oil pan (like a ships bulkhead)seals against this and divides the rear main bearing....I do think after looking at my manual I can press this seal back in without disturbing the main bearings.

Yes, I've seen many lower and side window channels....it's just that there are so many out there for later model cars and mine are pretty deteriorated that I'm not sure what would fit.

I bought rubber for my 28 victory 4 door at Steele Rubber products in Denver North Carolina. Top of doors where glass presses on when up.

windshield frame , vertical side channels, also for the glass where it presses into window mechanism.Not cheap but good quality.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. I have looked into Steele Rubber. The side window header rubber doesn't seem the same as mine, but I may use it. My vertical side channels have some kind of clip that hold them in place....don't know if Steele has the clips or maybe I can modify the rubber. Thanks for posting...glad you had good luck with it...I'll check Steele Rubber out further.

Kevin, thanks. I've got some kerosene sitting in the pan to loosen some of the crud. Good idea on the pressure washer...I've got a steamer I've been cleaning the chassis with and it has a high pressure nozzle,maybe it will work the same way.