Fault Codes 22 & 24 = high RPM

Guest Majmx

Guest Majmx

The idle on my 89 TC 8 V will not decrease below 2500 RPM.

Collected the TC from the repair shop after having the oil pump to turbo oil line replaced. Took the car out for a five mile drive.

After the engine warmed up to normal operating temperature I came to a complete stop put the transmission in first and took it up to 4500 rpm and then went to second again to 4500 rpm and then into third gear at 60 mph. Drove another half mile and discovered engine would not idle below 2500 RPM.

Returned to the house and checked engine codes.

Codes 22 and a 24 were set. The first coolant sensor voltage low (22) and the second (24) throttle position sensor has to high or low voltage.

Would appreciate any suggestions on what to look for that would cause the high speed idle and coolant sensor low voltage and what to repair or replace to correct these problems.

Guest LouZ

Hi Bob,

Did you check the throttle linkage.? they may have touched something or inadvertantly moved something that is hitting or rubbing on the throttle cable or another part of the assembly. Good Luck, Lou

Guest Majmx

Lou and Bill;

Discovered they had reinstalled a vacuum line minus the clamp. Hence the line separated from the fitting and this resulted in the high RPM. Line reinstalled with clamp and car idles at 750 rpm.

Bill have check the security of both connectors where they plug into the coolant sensor and the throttle sensor and both are a connected correctly. Please suggest where I might check additional connections.

Cheers,

Bob

Try running a couple of additional good quality grounds from the battery to the bolt that holds the fuel rail down and the battery to the block. Then clear the codes, test drive and see if they come back. I've experienced multiple 'nonsence' codes when there is a weak/faulty ground...

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Majmx

Hello Allan;

Thanks for the advice you provided on 9 May. Sorry about not getting back to you with the results.

Cleaned the ground connection and block area where the grounding leads are attach. Since that time the only code that appears is a 12 which tell me I have not driven far enough to reset any codes.

Of course my commute to and from work is only 12 miles per day. I am limited to 60 MPH on a two lane road hence I do not get to enjoy the TC until the weekend.

My project for this weekend, providing the weather stay dry i.e. no rain will be to clean the contacts on the relays which are mounted on the left side above the fender well arch. Will also clean the area where the relays are bolted to the body.

Enjoy your weekend.

Cheers,

Bob Steele

Guest Majmx

Alan;

Check the faults codes after 150 miles of stop and go driving and the only code present was 55. smile.gif

Good quality grounds are good to have.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Cheers,

Bob

Guest Majmx

Alan;

Sure wish I could trust the English weather to not change in less than six hours for I would love to take the hard top off.

However with the soft top up I find a I get a great deal of water entering the car above the windshield when going 60 mph in the rain.

Ok I could slow down but with traffic on the motor way running at 70 plus I might get run over.

Any suggestions on how to stop the leak beside moving to CA?

Cheers,

Bob

Guest My TC Toy

Bob, First try to find out how much clearance you have between the top gasket and the SS top windshield rail. Take a bill (Pound note) and place over the SS rail and clamp down the top. Try moving the note from one side of the windshield to the other, taking note where it is loosest. If the note is very loose or loose in only one side, try adjusting your clamps tighter. (Loosen the locknut, turn clamp in one or two turns and resecure locknut).

If this does not work carefully inspect the top rubber gasket. Coat with a generous spray of silicone, that may soften it up. If all else fails search out a soft closed-cell seal and run from side to side below the position of the main top seal.

Good luck,

Bob

Perfectly covered Bob cool.gif When he says clamps you know that's the Stainless Steel 'J' hooks that hold the soft top down right? They have a set screw that can be loosened and then the whole hook turns in the assembly to make it shorter (or longer). My 89 top was nice and tight (Didn't leak) but the 90 needed a strip of the adhesive backed closed cell foam to fix it.

Alan