1942 Ford Convertible

There were 2,920 1942 Ford convertibles built and 956 1942 Mercury convertibles built. I seriously doubt that any were built for the military. Military cars were usually closed cars as they were mainly used for transportation of officers.

• 3 years later...
Guest SteveWlf

I picked up a '42 For convert as a HS Jr in spring of '56 for $75 since the kid and thrown a rod in the OEM engine. Since I didn't have the money, my kid sister put it up on the condition it would be her car if I didn't pay her back. I had never rebuilt and engine before and wanted to get it going for summer driving. Found a '39 Ford wreck being parted out and paid about $25 for the engine. Swapped them out and had it running, albeit with the wrong/smaller engine. Don't remember any major problems or fit issues.

Come fall, my sister insisted on her money back or the keys to the car. I had my made good money over the summer and wanted a Ford with OVHV and the '57 was just coming out. I talked my parents into letting me get one of the first '57s and let my sister have the '42 convert.. After graduation in Class of 57 I worked all summer and when the Iowa winter made working life miserable for me, I joined the navy. My sister sold the car to one of my brothers and he, being a Gear Head, contacted Ford Mo, Co. since there had always been questions and doubts about the year of this car. Most thought it was a '46 with the wrong grill. FMC came back with the numbers posted by 19tom40 and an offer to purchase it for the MSRP at the time of Original sale. I think that was something less than $2000. Still a lot of money in the '50. However, it had to have the origanal engine, etc.. and I had scrapped that. So Sorry, So Sad for my brother.

I think he ended up selling it for a couple hundred.

Just goes to show, if you find something origanal, try to restore/rebuild it if you can.

Steve

Edited by SteveWlf (see edit history)