Sun Roof in Hardtop

Guest My TC Toy

Guest My TC Toy

Has anyone cut the hardtop to install a sunroof. How did it work out? Do you have any pictures? Did it effect the integrity of the roof?

You know, all the usual questions.

Thanks

have 4 tc 's in st.louis mo. last year i stopped at a coustom sun roof place while in the process of having a black fabrick top put on a extra top i purchased, and was informed that flber tops were not be gauranteed not to leak. so i passed. black fabrick top has fantastic luxury look. 4tc's three different tops 12 different tc looks have two hoist in garage. i have fun changing looks every couple day's. any extra tops in st. louis area please contact always looking too buy mrk813@charter.net

Guest Jeffn

Yep, & now I'm gonna put the top in the recycle bin.

It would be simple to do(do you have sun in Newfieland? Wife's from Vancouver and they don't have solar out there either)

Check on Ebay-there was 1 guy selling quality pop=ups for cheap, maybe 65-95US.

And that was why I bought the 2nd roof from 89TC-save the original and modify the 2nd roof. Where are all the roofs from all the junked TCs anyway? every owner should have at least 2 by now if they weren't all trashed.

Guest My TC Toy

For the record yes we do have sun in Newfoundland (although not everyday or even sometimes everyweek) and I will not comment on "Newfieland".

To get back to the top, does the installation effect the top in any negative way? I am thinking that a hole cut in it may cause a crack to form or possibly cut through any reinforcement.

Why did you ditch yours?

Thanks

Guest Jeffn

Just some insensitive old school jesting.

I never did the actual cut for the top but I think they're thick enough to hold their own. I'd also use a spare top and save your original. Drive down here topless and you can have mine for the price of a nice lunch.

Hey TC,

Always remember to make the corners round, a sharp or square corner may cause a stress crack to begin in that corner. By drilling each corner with a minimum 1/2" drill wil release any stresses and not allow a crack to begin that's why when a crack develops in plastic or glass we "stop-drill" a hole in the end of the crack to prevent the crack from going any further. I'd lay out the cutout with masking tape. Draw my lines and stuff on the tape. Drill all four corners, and join the corners with the straight cuts. Good luck, Lou

Guest My TC Toy

Jeffn, I did not mean to be overly unsensitive, it's just that Newfoundlanders historically have been on the butt end of Canadian jokes for decades and they usually mean that term in a derogatory fashion. I would love to drive down and pick up a spare hardtop but working 6 days a week is one problem the other is the excessive time wasted to get off this rock. Oh well! Maybe someday.

Lou, Thanks for the info. I probably get some friends at a local glass shop to put it in ( at least then I will have someone to blame if anything goes wrong, Ha!) I think the more serious point is to have the frame match the curvature of the roof otherwise there may be a gaping hole on a corner or two.

If I go ahead with it I will let you know and hopefully get some pictures.

Thanks for the help.