1939 Special seat tags

39BuickEight

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Billy:

I've seen these tags on several Buicks and so far haven't been able to decode them. I think (personal opinion, so be careful) that they're as the equivalent to the body tag for Fisher. They tell the upholstery people what to make and send over to the assembly line somehow. I think the trim code is embedded in here somehow and maybe something like a line number or date that says which car they're for.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Here is the one that fell off the back seat when we took it out. For some reason my camera did not want to focus well when I was taking the pic.

seattags002.jpg

Here is the bottom of the front seat with the tag still attached:

interior4-19-09008.jpg

I quickly found out why the front seat was not bolted down...one of the rear sliding brackets and corresponding wood wedge is missing. shocked.gif

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 39BuickEight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is the one that fell off the back seat when we took it out. For some reason my camera did not want to focus well when I was taking the pic.</div></div>

If your camera has a macro mode, that is what it is for - being able to focus on objects close up.

It is always neat to find some of these items that have survived.

• 2 years later...

Hello there,

I got similar plate from 38 Century back seat. H60033 and some small logo on the right side.

Have no ideas what is it, but will check another coach from 39 Special McLaughlin

post-72990-14313859796_thumb.jpg

Guest outlaw car man

I recently restored the interior of a 33 90. The seats were covered with nygahyde, but under was the original broadcloth. This was done in the 50s due to kids and ice cream.

When we pulled the original broadcloth off, there was a paper insert with manufacture's name ( not Buick ) and a tag.

There were numbers and a RS which I assumed was rear seat, since it was a rear seat.

The numbers were a 3 digit set as in the trim codes 153 ( Whipcord) and 5 digit number as in 50495. ( examples )

these may be the seat manufactue'rs codes, to coorespond to the Buick codes.

Did Buick farm out the seats to another company, I have no idea , but there was a paper card insert in the seat- Maybe from the people that made the springs, then sent over to Buick who put on the metal trim tags ???

Something like that.

Sandy

post-54015-143138598122_thumb.jpg