'38 Special - which wires on solenoid to handheld starter switch

-Rich

Ok, this is probably a simple question, but I've been staring at the wiring diagram so long my vision is blurry..

I'm trying to hook up a remote starter switch (a pushbutton switch with 2 leads), so that I can turn the engine over while I'm under the hood. Most of my wiring harness is out, so I don't have the ignition switch, voltage regulator or vacuum start connected. My problem is that I'm not sure which terminals on the solenoid I need to connect the remote switch to.

Do I just need to ground one of the smaller terminals near the top of the solenoid? That's what it looks like to me from the wiring diagram, but I'm not sure which one..

Thanks,

post-56588-143138059204_thumb.jpg

Here's what I would do...

1. disconnect your battery

2. label the two little wires

3. remove them, then reconnect your battery

4. take your voltmeter and connect from terminal to ground (one at a time). Figure out which one is +6V.

5. reconnect the 6V lead

6. fashion a jumper lead for the other terminal, to your pushbutton switch, then to ground. (don't use an alligator clip at the relay, it's too close to a couple of good short circuits!)

7. reconnect battery and use your pushbutton to rotate the engine as desired.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the response. I just got out to try it today, and here's what I found:

1) I disconnected both wires from the terminals on the solenoid relay. (purple and white wires in the photo above)

2) Reconnected the battery, and tested each of the 2 terminals to ground. Neither showed 6V. Both were approx 0.5vdc. (battery is fully charged) BTW, the car was running back in January, so I know it all works.

My electrical system in the car is very simple at this point. NEG battery cable goes to engine ground. POS battery cable goes to starter. That's it. Even the white/purple/red wires in the picture are disconnected - there's nothing on the other end. No regulator, ign switch, or anything.

What am I missing here? Do I need to connect one of the solenoid terminals to +6V, and the other to ground to get it to turn? Or am I way off base?

BTW - I've got the head removed and am having it machined, new valves put in, etc. I'm just trying to crank the engine enough so I can bring the pistons up to clean all the carbon and crap off of 'em. If I can figure out how to work the starter, that is! :-)

Thanks,

Guest imported_JPIndusi

Connect the terminal on the relay that had the white wire to ground. Connect a jumper to the terminal that had the purple wire. Now momentarily touch the other end of the jumper to +6 volt terminal on the battery and the starter should engage and spin the engine.

Joe, BCA 33493

Guest imported_JPIndusi

Glad I could help. I have some circuit diagrams for various years and since they don't change much, I can usually figure out an electrical problem. Even though I am trained as an electronic engineer, I taught myself the more hands-on practical stuff.

Feel free to shoot a question anytime.

Joe, BCA 33493

Guest imported_Thriller

Automotive doesn't exactly fall into the nice high current / low current we were trained with, eh? Other than coil induction, it's pretty much all low voltage though. I just have to remember not to let out the magic smoke.