Repro. Neville fat man Wheel

Before we spend too much time on this project.. I wonder what is a reasonable figure for a hand made wheel..There will be expense in the making of the molds and the casting, machining making the wooden wheel etc... I think if we could get commitment for maybe 10 pieces we would go ahead and try to figure what they would need to sell for..

Guest palosfv3

Reproducing a steering wheel whether wood or cast is an expensive proposition. I can only relate my expierience with the restoration of my Facel Vega. Original wheel was cast plastic from the mid 50's . No one at the time was repairing or rebuilding the wheels. Research into the project showed that a mold would need to be cast from a good wheel or a new omold made from scratch (extra expense) . Vendors here in the States were quoting around $2000.00 to $2500.00 for one wheel with a mold from a good undamaged wheel. Currently the Facel club found a vendor in Turkey that is doing them for around a $1000.00 exchange. Some how they came up with a good mold. There are also a couple of vendors doing one off wood rimmed wheels . They were charging between $2500.00 and $3500.00 for a new one off wheel. These were of the style of the Corvette and GM rosewood wheels of the late 60"s.

I hope this information is helpful. I believe that there are only a couple of vendors in the US geared to do this small volume type of production.

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on this project guys? Looks like I might need one as my Dad (and best friend) doesn't seem to comfy with the newly restored steering wheel rubbing on his belly. He didn't like the suggestion that he just ride shotgun either. So it's a neville or back to the machine shop to start re-engineering the steering column. The 29 DA Phaeton has a fixed front seat and really limits the extra baggage (politically correct?) you can comfortably drive with.

Great point P-D. Clearly a F-M wheel is not the answer. Looks like I'll be out in the machine shop today. Fortunately I kept the right hand drive steering column after I made the swap to LHD--The RHD column is 3" shorter than the LHD. Now the challenge will be if the worm drive that's pressed onto the steering shaft is the same in the two boxes. I suspect they may be mirror images of each other.