1929 Lincoln -- Help For Novice Antique Car Owners

Guest CynthiaBinder

Guest CynthiaBinder

My sister and I just inherited my Dad's 1929 Lincoln. It's been in the family since 1957, and I actually learned how to drive stick on it. Its in excellent, fully restored condition.

My father winterized it in November before he passed away and now we are preparing to get it ready for spring so we can transport it to Cedar Rapids, IA. Some of his buddies are going to help us, but we need a crash course in the care of antique cars.

Any suggestions for the best way to transport from Sioux City, IA to Cedar Rapids, IA? Also looking for ideas on the best way to maintain the car. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cynthia

Guest DADDIO65

I would check the yellow pages. You may find an independant car hauler that would be willing to take it out for you for a small fee. I-80 is a huge transport interstate. They may allow you to "tag along". Some of those guys are pretty nice about this kind of stuff. Especially if it has to do with an antique car. Possibly some of your dad's friends may also have a car trailer? I think it is approx. 4-1/2 hrs. from Sioux City to Cedar rapids.

I am assuming you did not want to drive it out there?

Guest CynthiaBinder

I guess I am rather scared to take The Lincoln on a 325 miles road trip, knowing absolutely nothing about how to fix any problems that might occur. I certainly don't want to get stranded in a small town at the mercy of someone who really has no experience dealing with a vintage car.

We are looking for a car trailer, as I have a Chevy 3500 Express van that could tow it. Tried to rent one from U-Haul and they said it was too heavy to haul. In contact with Duffy's Classic Cars in Cedar Rapids, but they wanted to put it on a transport which I think is a very bad idea. They are looking for someone who has just a trailer headed to that area.

Also contacted a tow company and they would drive up and put it on the truck. Just trying to do the best thing for the car... It was the love of my Dad's life.

Cynthia

Guest CynthiaBinder

Thinking of the future, would you let a place like Duffy's do maintenance, or look for an individual?

Cynthia, A tow company that will load your car on a low-boy truck is probably the best way to go. They will need to be extra careful when securing the car to the bed. As far the maintenance, these old rigs require a lot( by modern standards) especially if driven on a regular basis. I would contact the Lincoln Owner's club. This club's interest is in these old Model L and K Lincolns. http://www.lincolnownersclub.com/

They do have a forum and there may be someone in the area that could help with the maintenance needs. While your Lincoln is unique it does have similar service needs as other cars of the era. You may be able to get a "maintenace chart" for this car from one of the members and this would be real useful for anyone doing the regular maintenace.

Please do not attempt to drive it that distance. You should only drive it short distances (2-3 miles) until you become comfortable with it. I also recommend using an enclosed car trailer method, not an open trailer. Open car transport can create paint chips and other mild damage, enough to disappoint an owner. Breaking a headlight lense for example due to a rock or stone getting kicked up is not worth a couple of hundred dollars in savings. The U-Haul folks were right, the model L is too heavy for anything they have and this is not the time to learn how to trailer a car.

The Lincoln model L is a little tricky in starting and running. Please contact me and I would be glad to guide you through a familiarization with it.

Chris Wantuck