Truck Tires

Guest 29LQ

What tire manufacturer was supplied at the factory for 1946 Pick Up Trucks. Mine has 700/15 Firestones. Also, Would whitewalls be a deduction at judged meets.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...
Guest Bob Call

GM used U S Royal and B F Goodrich tires in the 40's amd 50's. If you have a 46 Chevy pickup 1/2 ton it was fitted with 6.00 X 16 tires at the factory. If it has 7.00 x 15 someone has made some changes. All Chevys, cars and 1/2 tons from the late 30's thru 48 on cars and thru 54 on 1/2 tons were fitted with 16 inch wheels with 6 lugs. At that time the only factroy 15 inch wheel with 6 lugs was the 36 Chevy Deluxe. These wheels are easily identifable as they are steel spoked of the 30's style common to a lot of brands. I believe that some post war Buicks had 6 lug 15 inch wheels. This may be what you have if you have 15 inch. If your truck has 5 lug 15 inch wheels someone has changed the front hubs and the rear axle shafts to 49 to 54 passenger car in order to use the 15 inch wheels.

Anyway, to get back to your question, if you want the original look you want 6.00 x 16 or 6.50 x 16 U S Royal or B F Goodrich. You can get new ones from Coker Tire (Coker Tire - Coker Tire).

Unless he has a 3/4 ton pickup and then he is correct with having 15" wheels and tires. The 700X15 tire is most correct for that vehicle.

29LQ, If this is indeed what you own, then I personally wouldn't go with a white wall tire. Stick with the black wall Firestones. I can't say what a Judge would do regarding the white walls, but it really wouldn't look right on a 3/4 ton truck. Totally improper IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Call

Rick

You are correct, if it is a 3/4 ton it is 7.00 x 15 tires. Until the exploding Firestones on the late 90's Explorers, Firestone original equipment tires were exclusive to Ford products due the the friendship of Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone.

Well, not entirely true about being exclusive Bob, but I understand what you're saying.

Yes, Firestone was a major supplier to Ford, but they also supplied tires to other auto manufactures including many independents. It was not uncommon to see a new Cadillac, Packard or even a Chrysler roll out of the plant with Firestones. On the other hand, Ford used several other tire brands. One being Goodyear which came on many mid 60's and early 70's Mustangs, as just one example. Even the new Ford Model A came with 4 or 5 different tire brands.

I assume the reason for your mentioning this about Firestone and Ford was due to my saying to LQ29 to keep Firestones on his Chevrolet truck. That was mostly due to the fact that the Firestone brand is the only brand name 700X15 on the reproduction market today that you can get in a blackwall. The only other name brand is B.F.Goodrich and that is a white wall only.