Considering a 91 Riviera Coupe

Guest BuickFan71

Guest BuickFan71

Can you tell me what to look for in this model? Strengths? Weaknesses?

I have not driven the car yet. How does this Riviera model ride? drive?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mrjoe2006

The headlight switch is a big problem on this car. Bad design and very expensive. I thought I was lucky to get one for $115 for my friend who owns the car! Have seen prices as high as $400 for a new one. Ride is about the best I've ever known. A little firm , yet quiet and comfortable with Pirrelli 4000 tires. Lot's of pep when it runs right. Right now problems with coolant temp not reading and subsequent stalling out.

I don't own a 91 but I do own two 92's. 91 - 93 are very similar except that in 92 the brakes became larger and solar glass became standard. I've never had a problem w/ the headlight switch although I've 2 extras from a boneyard for about $30 each that I keep handy just in case. I've had constant trouble w/ the theft deterrent system going off any time it wants to the point that I unplugged it. As for ride, there are two options: soft ride FE1 (P205/70R15 tire option QGZ), grand touring FE5 (P215/65R15 tire option QNS). You could purchase the whole grand touring package option Y56 which, besides the bigger tires and firmer suspension, would include aluminum wheels and fast-ratio power steering. By 91 three models were available; SA Basic (which includes alot), SD Premium pkg (incls all SA plus 6way pwr pass seat w/ pwr recliner, twilight sentinel, auto day/night mirror), SE Prestige pkg (all SA's & SD's plus ele trunk pulldown, remote keyless entry, body color outside ele heated mirrors, theft deterrent). Riv's of this era where known for their great ride. But, w/ any 18+ yr old car, if the suspension was not maintained then the ride design is compromised. I know this was "lengthie", but I hope it helps you.