38 OUT SIDE DOOR HANDLE

Guest OLBUICKS

To expand on suchan's comment just in case it is not clear; the retaining screw is accessed through a small hole in the side of the door (the parts the mates to the door jam). Sometimes you have to slightly push the handle down to have full access to the screw. It is a flat head screw and less than an 1/8" wide so a very small but long screwdriver is needed.

Guest OLBUICKS

Got it out ok... it had a cotter pin in there in stead of a set screw... what do you do to get the ferrel on the door out? I didn't look at it very close to see....

Guest Two Roadmasters

The rounded sleeve of the ferrule that goes throught the door is slightly bent on two points opposite each other just inside the door sheet metal. This is the way it looks on my -36 Roadmaster and I assume it is similar on the -38. By unmounting the door lock mechanism you should have straight access to the ferrule.

I checked my Fisher Body Manual reprint (some of the best money I've ever spent), and it says:

"Insert a hack saw blade in handle hole and operate the blade so that the cutting action is toward the operator. Saw through the inner flange of the ferrule and with a pair of pliers collapse the ferrule and remove it. Note: Use care in this operation not to cut into the door panel."

Bob's rents a tool to install the new ferrule, or you can buy one and make lots of new friends by loaning it out.

I'm in the process of replacing glass, weatherstrips, etc. on the doors of my 38-41, and the Body Manual has saved me from a number of tragedies.

Guest Tishabet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: suchan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm in the process of replacing glass, weatherstrips, etc. on the doors of my 38-41, and the Body Manual has saved me from a number of tragedies. </div></div>

Absolutely right, I have a 38-41 as well and the Fisher manual has proved very helpful.