Cruise Control Servo

Guest SwiftBuicks

Guest SwiftBuicks

After reading through the posts regarding restoring cruise control to an operational level on the Reatta board, I have replaced the vac hoses and located the servo. Is there some way to test the servo? The cruise control still doesn't work on my '89 Riv. After checking the contacts on the dash, I'm thinking the next step would be to replace the Servo.

Guest SwiftBuicks

Let me follow up this last post with my current progress trying to fix the Riv. I have a Hane's repair manual now. It suggests looking at the stop lights to begin an attempt at fixing the cruise. Well, the stop lights weren't working. Consequently, I replaced all the bulbs, some burnt out, some still working as night lights. This didn't bring the stop lights back. Consequently, today I'm going to start on the switch, again with help from Hanes.

Guest SwiftBuicks

That's what I think. It's rather cold in the garage, though, here in Florida these days. However, I am going to replace the stop light switch soon.

Guest SwiftBuicks

I took the old switch out and ordered a new one for $10 from Advanced Auto. It is there now. I'll pick it up and replace the old today. I did look at the connections, all seemed tight. I also cleaned the servo's electrical parts and replaced the hoses. $20 bucks is no big deal ($10 for the bulbs and $10 for the switch). Although some of the bulbs were still working, they showed signs of imminent failure. Replacing the switch is a pain, but in every life a little rain must fall. <span style="font-weight: bold">Now, I have brake lights</span>, but still no Cruise Control. The Resume light stays on all the time in the instrument panel. When the Cruise button is pushed, the light goes on and is as bright as the headlight button. There are two trouble codes now. B334 and B671. The Hanes manual gives >>ECM to BCM fault (loss of communication) for B334 and >>Cruise control system fault (servo position sensor or circuit)<< for B671. Another source gives >>Loss of ECM Data [Cruise, A/C Clutch and ECM Service Mode]<< for B334 and >>Cruise--Servo Position Sensor Circuit Problem [Cruise]<< for B671. I also only see the tachometer working on rare occasions. Of course I'm seeing the >>VEHICLE COMPUTER COMMUNICATION PROBLEM DETECTED Service Check Required<< page from time to time.

Guest SwiftBuicks

As a follow-up I drove 15 miles down the road and ordered a Servo from Auto Zone. In a few days I'll find out if that restores my Cruise Control.