The internet & carmax are killing me

pre-internet & carmax i used to be able to sell my used cars by just placing an ad in the newspaper. now it seems people know exactly what they want and just go to cars.com or other good sites and sort by that car -- whereas in the old days they scanned the whole auto section in the newspaper for anything within their price range. just venting.. i have a 72 electra listed for sale on this site.. been real tough finding interest..maybe its just price, maybe no one cares.

Thanks for the feedback, still frustrated tho, if its not a muscle car -- forget it. I've just listed the buick in the Trading Times..maybe thats the ticket. My car is a 1972 Buick Electra 225 coupe, 455c.i. brown/tan top. My wife's uncle bought it new in 72, died in 1976. The car sat in his garage for 20 yrs. and was maintained but rarely driven. when my wife's aunt died in 1996 (20 yrs later) I bought the car from her family. I put $2000 into it, reblt. carb., new hoses, belts, tune-up.. the body is in good condition, it turns heads when you drive it, the interior is in very good condition. I would like to get $4500 for it as that is what I have invested in it. I would like to see someone take the car to the next level.

Thanks for the information on your car. I will pass the word.<P>You guys are right; there seems to be a herd mentality when it comes to old cars. People tend to go after a few highly-publicized models, ignoring many fine and beautiful cars like '69 LeSabres and '72 Electras. I've never understood it. Wish I had unlimited resources and a huge warehouse so I could buy all the old Buicks that deserve to be preserved.

Thats not so bad for us though if everyone wanted one of our old cars we probably wouldnt be able to afford them. I personaly look for non mainsteam iron.I feel it more fun to drive something different than the rest of the cattle.......Dave<BR> It is interesting how the internet is affecting traditional waays of doing things in such a profound way.

Kinda Funny Reading all of this. I post questions every once and a while about my 1929 or 1906, and not a single person ever comments one way or another..... No one cares about the old stuff.<P>Kevin<BR>kevin@1929buick.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jake:<BR><B>pre-internet & carmax i used to be able to sell my used cars by just placing an ad in the newspaper. now it seems people know exactly what they want and just go to cars.com or other good sites and sort by that car -- whereas in the old days they scanned the whole auto section in the newspaper for anything within their price range... </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have to disagree, let me explain:<P>I just had a Labor Day weekend adventure that could actually be the start of a novel, all centered around traveling to go look at a car in Oregon. I live 800 miles away from the car so took Amtrak up, and planned to drive back.<P>If this car had been locally advertised it would not be sitting in my driveway right now - the car was much rougher than described/promised and actually needed mechanical work just to make it back home. I spent an entire day getting new brakes installed and an exhaust leak (at the manifold) fixed. This is all work I can do myself, but not 800 miles away from home without my tools and garage! Initially I was pissed, and beating myself up for what a fool I had been for even going through with the deal in the first place. After the repairs I drove off into the rain and made it about 150 miles south before calling it quits because of nightfall and poor visibility driving an unfamiliar car. I went over all of the details again and again as I lay in the motel, trying to fall asleep. I came to the conclusion that I had made a bad deal.<P>But a funny thing happened today as I made the rest of the drive back home; I kinda started to like the old Skylark. Even though she wears a home-sprayed, incorrect-color paint job, has probably not had a tune-up in two decades and badly needs the carb rebuilt, the poise and grace of this old car started to show through. This car is a 60,000 mile original and you can tell. She drives straight and true and is still tight, and pleasant to spend a twelve hour driving day in. When I got out of the rain I rolled all the windows down and let the wind and sunshine rush through at 70 mph for the rest of the drive. Man was I smiling!<P>My point? In this case it worked out to be BETTER that the ad was posted here... the guy obviously couldn't sell the car in his little town at the price he wanted so he posted it here, where all us Buick guys hang out. The first thing my 3-1/2 year old son said to me when he climbed into the front seat of the 'Lark was "I'm really glad you brought this car home for me to play with!" as he pushed the buttons on the Sonomatic. Memories like that, and the others I'll carry from this weekend don't come with a price tag.<P>Matthew

Amen brother !! I feel like that every time I drive this one somewhere else to sell it. I will miss this girl when she is gone!!!!!!<BR>When they are right there is no other car that drives like she does!! Great post!!

Vewy vewy interesting!!Ive been reading the above posts and agree with you all.I have always been a fan of the orphan cars.I just restored a 50 pontiac 4 door. Yup a 4 door.No one wanted it!It looked up at me and that big ol grill and chrome streak down the hood said take me home... so i did. As i drive down the road no one asks me if its a 4 door or 2 door all people want to see is the old car!And on top of that its an oddball car.<BR> No offence but the 57 chevy is ummm.... getting old??<BR> Now im the owner of two more poor decrepit orphen cars. A 55 dodge coronet and a 56 buick special.Like the previous letter stated. If everyone wanted these cars we wouldnt be getting them for under a 1000 bucks.<BR> As far as the internet goes i really think its a blessing for finding parts. I spent so much time on the road looking for parts(yes it was fun butt...)and coming up emptyhanded.<BR> Now i can search the nation literally from my home.Someone can send me a picture and we can help each other out looking for parts and giving advice. I really feel it has opened up a lot of doors in that way.Plus my telephone bill has gone waayy down!And it seems whenever the auto swap meet was here in town i had to do my Military duty GRRRRR!<BR> So take the best of both the new and the old and run with it!!<BR> Taker easy and watch those knuckles<BR>Tom H.<P>

Can I add to the great '67GSCALIF post? I had a brillant idea one time (yes just once smile.gif). About ten 15 years ago, while selling a car to a guy from WAY out of state, I told him, "Just come here as if you were coming on vacation,to see the sights, If you like the car, great, if you don't you won't be upset" He LOVED my rust free '65 Sportwagon, and told me he thought of my comment many times on his flight from Michigan out to San Francisco, and it made him feel much better. Few things can measure up to the disapointment of a long trip to find a misrepresented car at the other end. DON'T BUILD THE CAR UP! before you see it, knock it down, go to look at a car that you would "possibly" buy, not one that you "can't live without". You will feel much better no matter what you find on that "vacation". smile.gif<P>------------------<BR>buickfam@aol.com<BR>Life long Buick Fan.<BR>1965 Skylark H/T<BR>1965 Gran Sport Convertible<BR>1948 Chevy Pickup with 401 Buick.<p>[This message has been edited by MARTINSR (edited 09-04-2000).]