1921 Dodge Brothers Touring Car Top Material

Guest DB21tour

Guest DBtouring

I have a 21 Touring Car that I am getting ready to put a new top on and need some help/advice. What top material, that is available today, would be most correct for my car. I have been told the inside color should be a tan color and of course, the outside would be black. Should it be the Canvas material or the Vinyl material. I have found the Canvas with a tan color interior, but all the Vinyl I have found, has a black interior.

Guest Jack27

You are correct on the black outside color and the tan inside. The original top had tan mohair on the inside but that is no longer available. You can get a top material that has a black outside canvas and an inside tan. LeBaron Bonney might have it. www.lebaronbonney.com

Jack

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DBtouring

Jack27, thanks for your reply and info.

I hard a real hard time finding black vinyl with a tan interior. I finally found out that Vern at ROMAR could get it and the matching bow wrap material for me. So it's on order.

Rich N, thanks for the picture. About a year or so ago, you sent me a link to a web site that had more pictures of your top. Do you still have that web site. I know I could stand to look at the pictures again and Tmarvin in CT. is also in the process of redoing the top on his 21. If you still have it and could let us know, it would be greatly appreciated.

Guest imouttahere

I guess I over-restored my car when I did the top. I used the original-type top material, but I lined it with a separate layer of beige muslin, and I made new longitudinal pads that I enclosed in the same beige muslin. And I made the pads a bit thicker than the originals. The only problem is, my top is so thick that the top irons almost refuse to go into the top saddles all the way. But then I drive the car with the top down all the time anyway, covered by a tonneau cover, so nobody even sees my fancy top.

When you sew your top, don't forget the strips of top material that make an "X" under the top for reinforcement. These are doubled up with flat-felled seams.

Guest DBtouring

Thanks imouttahere

I have a question, I've seen tops where the "X" runs from the back to the front and tops that the "X" is only in the section between the rear bow and the next bow forward. Any suggestion on which one works better.

Guest imouttahere

The inside of RichN's top on his '21 touring is different from the inside of my late '22 (like a '23, I think) top. The inside of my top has pads running the length of the top on both sides, and reinforcing straps forming an "X" across the inside of the top, connected to each corner.

• 10 years later...

I'm not aware of any patterns available.  Even if there were, I don't think you could get around custom fitting the top to the car.  

With respect to imouttahere's post from 2009 above, I'm working on a top in the same fashion (two separate layers) but I can't find a good way to bond the inner lining to the outer top material (vinyl with thin white cotton layer on the inside).  Contact cement bleeds through the inner liner material (tan bowdrill).  Does anyone know of a 'dry' adhesive that might work?