1935 Running boards

mattg

Does anyone have a photo of the steel that is attached to the rubber running board mat and the clips that attach it to the steel running boards of a 1935 Dodge sedan? I am restoring one and do not have anything of the original mat to go by.

• 5 weeks later...

The plan is to buy the reproduction mats but Hunley Acuff says that for 1935 only the rubber is bonded to a thin metal backer with some sort of fastners to let you remove the mat from the main runningboard metal. Hunley Acuff has not been able to come up with a photo of what it should look like.

I have some pictures of a running board mat for a 38 Dodge that Hunley Acuff made for me that I can post or email, if that's what you are looking for. They are just the top part of the running board, showing the rubber mat as it sits on the running board. On the 37 & 38, the running board has slot holes all over. The mat was made with tabs cut in the metal and bent down. These tabs matched up with the holes in the running board. The mat was placed over the running board, the tabs went through the holes and were twisted to secure the mat to the running board. If you ever needed to replace the mat, the tabs were twisted back and the old mat popped off to replace. Not sure if this is the same on the 35 Dodge, but Hunley's rubber is an exact match to what was originally on my 38 car. If you would like some pictures to show the underside of the running board and the tabs, let me know. I will have to take them and can either post them or email them as an attachment. Hope this helps.

Guest Ed_Joyce

I had a 1938 DeSoto with exactly that same type of running boards years ago. Could not find any original sources so I filled slots and glued rubber to running board. Glad to hear someone is making at least the rubber.

• 1 month later...

Hi there. I'm new to the forum and just stumbled across your post. I thought I might be able to help you with some photos of my 37 running boards. Let me know if you need more specific photos. Sorry they're a bit rough. I haven't got around to the bodywork on my project yet.

I hope my 2 pictures appear in this post.

John

post-60456-143138044554_thumb.jpg

post-60456-143138044558_thumb.jpg