394 rocker shaft problem

Oldsfan

I bought a pair of new rocker shafts from Terrill in Texas. The oil holes don't line up with the pinned bracket that bolts to the head. They seem to be off center. We can pin the bracket to the shaft, but the oil supply hole in the shaft doesn't line up with the oil supply hole in the bracket. There will be a restriction of oil flow into the shaft. I called Terrill and they verified that the correct number was sent. They say that they sell alot of these shafts and no one has ever had this problem before (or just never bothered to look) and they they haven't changed suppliers. I have the option to return them. They said if they send me another set, chances are that they will be machined the same way. Both shafts in the package are machined the same. Not sure what do do. I need new shafts. I don't know that I trust to return these and buy shafts somewhere else.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Looks like my only alternative is to pin the bracket to the shaft and take it to the machine shop and have the shaft drilled to match the hole in the bracket.

Paul

Guest imported_pete324rock

I wish I had the real deal in front of me so I could see exactly what you mean....but I looked in a couple of books for a hint and I have to assume it is similar to the mid fifties set-up.The only possible explanation I can think of is that it is made that way for whatever reason and doesn't allow for a lot of oil to flow that way.Olds is known for upper head oiling problems.I know of another forum where you may get your answer.I can paste your question there or direct you...if you like.Lots of discussion about 50's olds speed questions...may be helpful.You must have seen those upper oiler kits for olds.Must have been for a reason...though drilling out the shaft would be just as easy you'd think.Maybe a call to Fusick since they sell them too....but they might be sad since you didn't buy them there.

Not coincidence. I posted there shortly after posting here. I figured that would be a good site for Rocket engine information. I went in this morning and tried to post a reply to the reply recieved, but the system logged me out and I lost it. I didn't bother re-entering it.

Paul

apparently you got a reply from a well respected olds person,who has a vast knowledge about the subject,especially motors and valvetrain.He doesn't reply to everyone,you got lucky.Hopefully it was helpful.

I can't comment on the hole not lining up on the support block, but the problem with these was the oil pressure was delivered to the rocker shafts via a groove in one of the cam bearings. As the bearings wear, less oil is delivered to the rockers and the rocker shafts would wear more , dropping the oil pressure even more to the point where there isn't enough volume of oil to properly lubricate the rockers. I doubt you'll be able to drill a hole in the rocker shaft as they are case-hardened steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Yacey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I doubt you'll be able to drill a hole in the rocker shaft as they are case-hardened steel. </div></div>

I was afraid somebody would tell me something like that... frown.gif

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pete324rock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe a call to Fusick since they sell them too....but they might be sad since you didn't buy them there. </div></div>

Fusick has shafts? I'd buy a set from them and return these to Terrill. But I don't see shafts in the Fusick catalog - just rocker arms.

Paul

yes ,but it may be a new item.You will have to download the current catalog to see the newest items...they are adding all the time thankfully. I see shafts from 1952 to 1960 and also the rocker stands now but are only listed for the 324 and 371 engines...I am not aware of the difference to 394 models.Anyways ,shafts are 49 bucks each,the stands are 38 bucks and I should also mention they have rocker arms 1952-60 for $13.50.