Information on the Calvert Automobile

Calvert

I am interested in locating information and a picture of a +/-1927 Calvert Automobile. I am told it was the brainchild of Mr. Norman I. Dods. A few 6 cyclinder cars were manufactured in Maryland around 1927. They were the successor to the Cavalier Auto and only a few prototypes were made. One is reported to still be around somewhere in California. Can you help me? or point me in the direction of someone who can!

Frank Calvert

Frank...Welcome to the AACA Forum.

I highly recommend that you try our AACA Library & Research Center. We retain thousands of original automotive research books, sales literature, and, technical manuals.

Click on "Library" on the home page or "Resources" drop down menu at the top of this page.

AACA Library & Research Center

501 W. Governor Rd.

Hershey, PA 17033

Ph: 717-534-2082

kgardner@aacalibrary.org or critter@aacalibrary.org

Regards,

Peter J.

Frank,

The following is an excerpt from Rector R. Seals's book "Maryland Autmobile History "1900-1902", 1985

<span style="font-style: italic">The Calvert automobile was manufactured by Calvert Motors Associates, 210 South Hanver Street, Baltimore, Maryland. The Calvert, a light automobile was designed by Norton L. Dods and produced from 1927 to 1931, chiefly for the export market. In the Duplex Three line for 1927, a Calvert chassis was offered for $550, a 2-4 passenger Dartabout for $745, a 2-4 passenger Sport-Dartabout for $795, and a 2-4 passenger Coupe-Dartabout for $850. General specifications included a wheelbase of 105", four wheel brakes, disc wheels, and balloon tires. The six cylinder engine, of their own manufacture, with a bore and stroke of 2 1/2"-5", respectively, developed 50 brake horse power. This was a lot of power for an automobile that weighed only 1,675 pounds. For 1928, the Calvert had gained a little weight and prices were slightly lower. A Continental engine with a bore and stroke of 2 1/2" -4" was now being used. In 1929 Calvert Motors Associates became a division of Standard Automotive Industries. For 1930 and 1931 the Calvert was offered with four Disc-Wood wheels and an extra rim as standard equipment. For $50 more the purchaser could have fender wells and two extra rims. This added 65 pounds of extra weight. The 1930 and 1931 models were also Parkmobile-Equipped (a device which is described in detail in the New york Six chapter). In 1928 the Calvert Motors Associates established a subsidiary ....Cavalier Motors Associates to produce a CAVALIER "MIDGET". This was a small two passenger automobile with a 90" wheelbase selling at $345, for a chassis to $515, for the enclosed Sportabout. A four-cylinder Continental engine with a brake horse power of 25 was used. Production was discontinued in 1931. Research has failed to locate any existing production Calvert automobiles. Perhaps, in the future, some antique auto enthusiast may find a nice restorable one in foreign junk yard and ship it back to Baltimore.</span>

Unfortunately, Rector's book does not have any photographs of the automobile.

Hope this helps.