Transmission Problem? !

psychdee

When I put the car into drive it is delayed and then pops in and the car lurches a little. It has been the same way for several years and after fixing so many other things, I would like to get this fixed.

Another perhaps related problem is worse. while driving the car does not go into forth gear and the rpm goes high. Someone told me it is related to the odometer, but I already fixed that (thanks to TC garage site.

By the way, it always annoyed me that there is a gap between the automatic gear shifter where it meets the faux wood --where dirt collects. By accident I put a piece of a McDonald's coffee stirrer and it blended in and stays in and fills the gap precisely. If anyone cares, you need two or three of the stirrers and you need to break off the top and bottom, leaving the straight shank of it and cut or break it to size.

Hi, You did not specify; but by your description I believe you have the V6 with the A604 4sp OD trans.

Sounds like your trans is sometimes going into "Limp Mode".

This is an electronic controlled trans. meaning it has it's own computer. Most oftern when these transmissions have a problem, The program sends the trans into 2nd gear. This is a safety measure for the driver to slow down and "limp" home or to a repair shop with out doing further damage. Hence the term "Limp Mode" Check with your local dealer or a good national Transmission repaior chain shop. They will connect a TRANSMISSION Computer "reader" to the car this will tell most of the story. Be sure they read the Transmission control module and not the Engine module. Good Luck, Lou

p.s. Your Transmission can only use Chrysler +3 or +4 Transmission fluid. NO SUBSTITUTE ! ! ! !

Hello Psychdee;

Sorry I cannot offer any suggestions on your transmission problem.

However I wanted to let you know AOL, in late Nov 08, closed down the server where the TC garage site and valued information was being stored.

Do you have the URL for the TC garage web site you were refereeing to?

Cheers,

Bob

TC America

To answer the above questions.

I can't get back on the TC garage site anymore either. I used it before AOL discontinued it. I printed out the instructions for the odometer repair and have it somewhere.

Perhaps it can be reconstructed. I don't have a scanner, but if someone is interested I would sent them a hard copy and perhaps they would be nice enough to post it.

Turning to the transmission problem----yes, I have the V6 automatic in my '91.

I forgot to mention that the problems going into overdrive is when it is warm-up and only sometimes. I was wondering if it has to do with the cable for the transmission shifter.

I do not think so, I will repeat: reading the transmission fault codes will take the guesswork out of the equation and bring in real world info. Lou

BTW I was born and raised for 65 years on Staten Island. Call Phill at Gebralter Trans on Hylan Blvd. Ask him how much for him to check out your trans... You can tell him I suggested you call. Lou Z

Hi Lou,

I followed the advice that you gave in the above comment and took it to Phil at Gilbralta who said to say hello. There were no transmission computer testing device and there were no codes. In checking it further he found that there is a sputter in the internal part of the transmission that engages the overdrive that includes a solenoid, I need all three motor mounts and a radiator. He said that there was transmission fluid leaking but the level is at full and not filled recently.

Hi, I know Phil for many years, He has built many transmissions for me and others I recomended. Always been very satisfied. Only 1 bad one, which he redid quickly..

Go to Alpar.com.. click repairs on the left side.. then click transmissions.. yours is a 604 Overdrive trans. believe what you read. The transmission fluid is VERY important. So important you might want to invest in an oil & filter change. only use the Chrysler +4 ( it used to be +3). in the past I have sucessfully replaced the TCM (transmission control module) sucessfully (you must follow all the chrysler service letters/bulletins) and also replaced the solenoid packs. with good results. The last one I did was a '91 with 24,000 miles on it; so because of the low mileage I just replaced the complete trans and TCM with all upgrades from Chrysler.

Good Luck, Lou