Radio antenna for 1937 Studebaker

Guest Don Aust

Guest Don Aust

I recently 'inherited' a 37 Stude with the intact radio antennae which are mounted under the running boards. Question?: How the heck do they hook up to the radio, and do they work clear down there so low? Anybody know?

I installed under running board antennas on my Auburn. I was not happy with the reception, they were poor on their best day. Cowl antennas were introduced on 1936 on GM cars when they went to the solid 'turret' top. Does your 37 have a solid or fabric top?

Guest Don Aust

Solid top. I have never seen the antenna before I got this car, and the previous owner thought they were "skids" for the bottom of the running board. I will probably leave them intact for the fun of it, and use a cowl antenna for reception on the radio, when installed.

Guest imported_GeorgeCagle

Don,

My car does not yet have an antenna, but I plan to make one to fit under the running boards. Here are a couple of jpgs of instructions I copied off ebay. I do not have the actual page, just this set of pictures. I know this does not help much, but maybe someone with the real set of instructions will chime in.

post-32751-143138023365_thumb.jpg

post-32751-143138023372_thumb.jpg