W34 Toro info needed

Pat

I found a 68 W34 in a junkyard but unfortunately the carb and heads are gone. The trans and block/intake/exhaust manifolds are there. Is the trans OM the same for all 3 yrs or is the 68 special? Also, I thought the cam and crank were special but the heads and carb were the same for other 68 Toros, is this the case? Thanks Pat

The heads will be the same C casting as all 67-69 big block Olds motors (except the W-30 and H/O). The valves were 2.070"/1.625", the same on all Toros and 442s. The cam was different, however. It was the same 285/287 degree cam used in the Hurst/Olds with A/C. The crank is the same cast nodular crank used in all 68-up 400s and 455s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob Kerr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hopefully the air cleaner and outside air induction tubes are there also, Those might be a nightmare to find. </div></div>

There was a W34 inlet scoop on ebay a month or so ago. First time I had ever seen one for sale.

That's how I connected the dots. I've been picking parts from a 67 next to it off and on the last few years and had looked over the car but didn't think much of it as the bumper was gone and interior is shot, etc. Just before the nationals I was there again and saw the induction part on the driver fender and grabbed that thinking if I needed it when I get a 68, it may be a hard part to find intact. Asked a guy at the show and he reminded me to check the trans code just in case. Kept meaning to get back but waited. Heck the cars been sitting years and NO ONE has removed a part forever. I was scratching my head when I got back to it cause I would have sworn the motor was intact and I couldn't see the pistons. Sure enough, some guy from Indy was there late summer and took the carb and heads, crap. So, I figure I'll get the rest of the engine and trans since the heads are standard. Any ideas on the carb other than specific for the year? If its a real special carb I might try to hunt the guy down to get it back. I also found the air cleaner but its ate up pretty good but I think the end oval piece could be grafted onto another regular air cleaner.

Some other items of note for a 1968 W34 - the windshield washer tank is on the side of the inner fender instead of the front (and should be a different shape) to accomodate the cold air hose and intake snorkel. There was also supposed to be a thermal switch that when coolant reached 220 degrees would open the headlight doors to allow more airflow. The ads claimed a different final drive ratio but that appears to never have occurred. Car Life tested a '68 W34 Toro and claimed a final drive of 3.36 but when Car & Driver tested that exact same car they said 3.07 (or 3.08 can't remember). PS If you gather any info on the newest W34 , do not email thelist@toronado.net unless you are member (Email me or post the info to this forum please)