Jump to content

Carpet heel pad

Guest 1928Packard526

Recommended Posts

Guest 1928Packard526

I discovered what appears to be an aftermarket rubber covered pad evidently installed originally at the heel wear point to protect the carpet from excessive wear, (pictures attached). It was found in the trunk of my '29 Lincoln among scraps of the original interior carpet. Thereing are attaching rivets at the corners that still hold threads of the original carpet. The large hole matches the needed position for a hole to access the valve for the car's air pump when the plate is positioned to best protect the carpet from constant wear from the accelerator foot. The plate would also fit nicely in my '28 Packard with the hole positioned over the Packard's similar valve. I am searching for more info on this piece as I would like to replicate it, if possible. I have never seen anything similar at the swaps, but this is not a homemade creation as enough molded rubber is still attached to recognize the molded pattern of the edging and on the two different surfaces .

I posted pictures of this piece on the Packard thread and after over 100 downloads of the pictures there has been no responses. This can't be a unique piece. Help!




Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you look in your Lincoln owners manual, you will see a metal plate with a ribbed rubber cover vulcanized to it as a heel wear pad. This is usually missing. On the linoleum covered floorboards this plate was located by two screws with spacers to keep it in position as seen on your plate. The plate just slipped over these screws to locate it. The larger hole was for the tire pump engagement shaft. Cadillac had a piece of ribbed rubber sewn into the carpet in this location.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest 1928Packard526

rcr —

I have a copy of the "Book of Instruction, Lincoln Motor Cars" copyrighted 1929, which details the car quite thoroughly and can find no good illustration such as you describe.

There is a illustration on Page 11, (fig 2), that shows what looks like a aluminum edged board, similar in thickness to the actual floorboards themselves that appears to have "striping" of some sort on it. This board is attached as you describe. Is this the illustration and protector you mean?

I will attach a scan of that page in my manual for your review.

The actual piece I have is all of 1/4" thick and appears to be another thing entirely, but designed to serve the same purpose. Also, it most certainly was attached to the carpet, not the floorboards, since carpet threads remain under the rivets found at the extreme corners, and there are no attachment holes in evidence on the car's floorboards.

I understand that the manual illustration is only a drawing, perhaps prepared months before actual production, and could reflect an earlier design or even the approach to be used only when no carpet was present.

Assuming this is a Lincoln part, can you describe it more fully or better yet, do you know of a photo of what the piece looks like in a much better state of preservation?

Thanks very much for your reply, as every bit of new information is always of help.

Pete P.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...