Transmission flush

Guest ekvh

I tried to do the transmission flush as suggested in previous posts. I used the top line to the radiator to expel and the bottom line of the radiator to pull in fresh fluid. I put a hose with a clamp on the bottom line and stuck it into a pan of fresh fluid. Others had told me it would draw the new into the trans. I fired the car up and it would not pull in any of the new fluid. I didn't think I could pour it in fast enough through the dipstick filler tube. After 4-5 quarts of fluid came out, it began pushing air, so I had to shut it down for fear of running the pump dry. I put in four quarts and ran it some more until I eventually had 11.5 qts of new fluid in there. I am feeling that all I did was pump the new stuff in and right back out of the pan.

I was hoping to get the fluid in the TConverter changed too. Does anyone think I did or did I just waste $20 worth of fluid?

I think you got some bad information.

The pump in the transmission sucks fluid in through the pickup with the filter attached to it from the bottom of the pan. Some of the fluid is diverted through the radiator for cooling and back into the pan. The oil returning back to the pan without restriction is why there is very little pressure built up in the transmission lines that go to the radiator.

The pump does not suck fluid out of the radiator. Fluid is forced through the line going to the radiator, through the radiator, through the return line and back into the pan of the transmission.

Guest Reatta1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CHAS1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what it is worth here is what I have been doing for years. Take a small pump attached to my electric drill and drop tube into dipstick and pump out 4 quarts. Refill with 4 quarts and repeat process 3 or 4 times driving a week or so between process. When ready pump it out and drop pan and change filter and gasket. In addition once a year I pump it out once and refill with 4 quarts.

Works for me. </div></div>

Or you could just go to the local 'lube' jockey, pay him $119.99 and then stand around close to watch and see that he actually does get it all changed. smile.gif

I added through the dip stick tube, but because I did it without an assistant, I could not pour it in as fast as the transmission could pump it out. I am just thinking, all I probably did was pump four quarts of old out, then shut it off and pour four new quarts in, then start it and pump four quarts out again. The next four to come out was most likely new fluid as it pulls from the bottom of the transmission. Anyways, live and learn. It sounds like all anyone really does is replenish the twelve quarts it holds with around four quarts of fresh fluid. It seems kind of primitive set up to only replenish one third of the fluid in 60K or more. This is a 300K motor, but it's not a 300K transmission. A thorough fluid change at reasonable distances would sure make the transmission more likely to make it. Getting the fluid out of the TC is the hard part, but one would think in these days manufacturers would have a better way to do this.

Guest Bobby Valines

Someone the other week was wanting to put sea foame in ther good trans. My thoughts were he better check with a trans. shop to make sure it was a good ida. I have never been able to get all the fulid changed either.

That was me. Removed 12oz. of trans fluid. Started it up, added the bottle of Seafoam and drove to work. Drove for another week before servicing the trans. (Not a complete flush, just a filter & fluid change) Instructions on the Seafoam label states, that 1/2 a bottle in a transmission that is serviced regularly, is recommended.

Also, trans STILL working fine. Just my personal preference, An Ounce of Prevention (In this case, 12 ounces).

Guest Mc_Reatta

Seems to me I have seen some TCs that had a threaded drain plug in them. You could access it through the hole in the bottom of the bell housing. That would make this process much simpler and less wastefull. Think they were out of Mopars not Buicks though.

Does anyone know if there a constant flow of fluid into and out of the TC for cooling, or does it just fill by gravity and what's in there just tend to stay in there till it's drained out.

Guest CL_Reatta

Ya, no drain holes on these trannys... that is automotive thinking back when thay didnt try to scam you for every reapir that you now need to go to have it done at a shop. I would say that there is a constant flow to the TC since you can flush it out.

Guest Reatta1

I am personally of the opinion that all these 'recommended' services, for the most part, are just ways to scam you into spending big bucks on these 'services'. I have never had most of these things done on any of my cars other than regular oil changes for obvious reasons. Oil gets contaminated by the simple fact that the combustion process does allow contamination of the oil. The rest of the systems are 'closed' systems and have little if any exposure to contamination. My Regal has nearly 170k on it and I've never had the tranny flushed or the brake system flushed or done a tune up on it. It had 32k on it when I got it. It still runs like a striped a**ed ape, gets 30 mpg on the open road and the brakes work just fine. My Reatta has about 98k on it and same thing. Never flushed brakes (I did give it the brake test when I got it), no tune up or tranny flush and no problems there either. Our Park Avenue is approaching 100k (had 62k on it when we got it) and same thing. The only 'recommended' service I do to any of our vehicles is to religiously do the oil changes at three thousand mile intervals. I expect what I have not spent on all those other 'services' would more than pay for a 'failure' if it ever occured. The only reason I would ever perform one of those services on a modern car would be if it sat for an extended period of years without use. Just my 02 worth.

I agree. I have worked on cars all my life and have never changed the transmission fluid unless the pan is leaking. All this flushing is not needed under normal conditions. Maybe under extreme conditions like pulling heavy loads. Unless you are treating your Reatta like a race car flushing is overkill.

I just sold my s10 pickup that had 204,000 miles on it and the transmission pan had never been removed and the fluid still looked like new. Never a problem with the transmission. Before that I had 2 Toyota pickups with automatic transmissions and the pans had never been off them either. Both had over 200,000 miles on them.

Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 'Reatta1'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never had the tranny flushed or the brake system flushed or done a tune up on it.</div></div> Reatta1, I got a lot of respect for you, but you should change your brake fluid (at least once/3-yrs). It only costs a buck or two. When you see the rusty-red goo come out, you will thank me. Rust comes from the INSIDE of your steel brake lines, because DOT-3 brake fluid sucks up water until it gets saturated (much like gasohol).

I don't care if you don't change your tranny fluid, or change your oil. But, I sure don't ever want to see your brakes fail for lack of maintenance.

Guest F14CRAZY

I don't mean to go off topic, but bleeding your brake system is definitely good to do every couple years because DOT 3 absorbs 1-2% moisture/year...what I said didn't completely make sense but the fact is true

Guest CL_Reatta

Ya, not changing your brake fluid is bassicly wanting your brakes to fail... whats even worse is when you change the brake fluid and coffee comes out... and your brakes go from you hitting the pedal to the floor and still coming to a slow stop, to acting normal

Back to the tranny flush. Don't you think that continuous heat will break down the viscosity of the fluid? To me that makes sense and a reason to change it every so often. The mechanics that I have spoken with who take care of feets of autos feel they have far fewer transmission problems when the fluid is swapped. One does it every 30k.

Guest Reatta1

Simply, Phil and CL,

I understand your thinking and concern about the brake fluid. I don't flush and refill because that gets partially done by the brake shop whenever I get brakes redone. So far they have never told me that the fluid was contaminated and needed replacing. And I trust my brake shop.

Guest simplyconnected

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 'Reatta1'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So far they have never told me that the fluid was contaminated and needed replacing.</div></div>

With all due humility Reatta1, how can the brake shop know it's contaminated unless they change it? Your whole system only holds a cup!

Guest Reatta1

Well for one thing, when they do a brake job they have to remove the reservoir cover in order to allow fluid movement back into it when they push the caliper cylinders back in in order to put in the new pads. When it all goes back together they have to bleed the system to remove any air that got in. That is how you end up with mostly new fluid in the system. It is also how they are able to tell if your fluid is contaminated or not. Up untill I got cars with anti lock systems I used to do all my own brake work. I generaly ended up with mostly new fluid in the system after the bleeding process, and a hard brake pedal with only slight depression of the pedal - to address Phil's comment.