25 DB: Blanket for Radiator Temperature Control?

Guest oldodgeboys

Guest oldodgeboys

I recently put an old honeycomb radiator on my 25 DB. Boy, does it work good...too good! My motometer shows a cold operating temperature, this was confirmed with a thermometer. On a 70F day the motometer barely shows any reading at all (about 130F).

I would like to make an authentic-like radiator blanket/cover to control the temperature. I would rather not use shutters or a modern thermostat.

Does anyone have experience in this area?

thanks

Gus

Guest imouttahere

Why don't you just use a thermostat that fits entirely within the upper radiator hose, so it's invisible, and so nobody will know you're using a non-stock setup?

tstat.jpg

They only used radiator blankets in the olden days because the industry had not yet then developed reliable thermostats.

Guest oldodgeboys

I'm considering the thermostat option. A blanket would give a vintage <span style="font-style: italic">feel</span> to the car...isn't that what it's about?

On those thermostats, does some water by-pass the thermostat when its closed? If there is no by-pass flow, I would think that with the thermostat so far from the head, the thermostat would not open until the engine was really hot. Just a thought.

Guest imouttahere

"...I would think that with the thermostat so far from the head, the thermostat would not open until the engine was really hot."

No, just the opposite. The hottest water in the engine forms inside the cylinder head and then rises into the upper radiator hose. A thermostat in the upper hose is actually in hotter water than a thermostat in the cylinder head would be, so it opens faster.

It's really important to get the engine up to the correct operating temperature; i.e., reasonably hot. The combustion process occurs a lot more efficiently that way, and the car runs a lot better. This is the same kind of thermostat that was used in some old tractors. You ought to see how lousy my tractor runs without the thermostat installed.

The thermostat does not JUST open. It continually opens and closes to keep the temperature stable at the thermostat's given temp AFTER the car warms up. It could go higher but should never go below thermostat temp.And yes oldodgeboys, most thermostats bypass a small amount of water. It's an old hotrod trick to drill an 1/8 to 3/16 hole is the side area for this purpose, but most already have it.

Guest imouttahere

nearchocolatetown, I hope you won't think this is nitpicking, because I know you are quite knowledgeable about DBs.

However, I think it is necessary to distinguish between low-pressure and high-pressure cooling systems. The thermostat bypass directs the coolant directly back into the engine until the thermostat opens. This is done to prevent water pump cavitation in a high-pressure cooling system. The engine would warm up faster if there were no bypass; <span style="text-decoration: underline">i.e</span>., if the coolant did <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> circulate directly back to the engine when the thermostat is closed. Since the DB cooling system operates at a low pressure, water pump cavitation will not occur even if there is no bypass, and the engine will warm up faster that way.