Idling At 1150 RPM

Guest Drake

On the way home from work last night, Old Faithful acted up. Came to a stop sign, and noticed the engine was idling fast,1150 RPM stopped & in gear. Got it in the garage and checked it out this morning. Removed the IAC valve and found that black sooty stuff inside the housing and on the plunger assembly of the valve. Cleaned everything, and low and behold, engine now idles at 625-675 RPM in gear.

Before I checked the Reatta out this morning, I remembered previous posts on this Forum concerning the IAC valve, and what to do. Just want to say Thank You to all the Forum Members,for their vast knowledge. Thirty minutes of my time, saved me a $150.00 trip to the repair shop.

I remembered the Post Jon had left about the screws not being magnetic. You can either put a rag under the IAC, or spend the rest of the day at Ace Hardware trying to match up the screw that fell into oblivion.

been there and done that.

It helps to just hit the area with a hose and flush the screw out and pick it up from the driveway.

I'll sure give it a try the next time it happens. Thanks for the tip. (might even give the 3800 a quick wash while I'm at it )

Guest Squire Tom

searched on the reatta shop manual site , did not find reference to iac. anyone know which section refers to it ?

car is running fine , but i guess i cannot leave well enough alone after reading the above post.

where is iac located ?

thanx

If you're standing on the driver's side, to the right and just below the air intake (bellows looking big black hose) that attaches to the Mass Airflow Sensor assembly. It has an electrical connection and two (non magnetic) screws. Loosen the two hose clamps on the air intake, remove it, and you have clear access to the Idle Air Control Valve. Once you've CAREFULLY removed the screws ( don't forget to put a rag under the IAC), pull out on the IAC. There is an o-ring seal inside. Once you've got it out, you'll see the soot inside the housing and on the plunger assembly of the IAC. Spray some carburetor cleaner on both. The results are immediate. When reinstalling the IAC, put a little white grease or oil on the o-ring. It will slide right in & seal. Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Squire Tom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">searched on the reatta shop manual site , did not find reference to iac. anyone know which section refers to it ?

car is running fine , but i guess i cannot leave well enough alone after reading the above post.

where is iac located ?

thanx </div></div>

You might find the information found here helpful.

Hey Ronnie, I should have waited to post on Tom's question.

Tom, go to Ronnie's site, my explanation doesn't hold a candle to the information listed there.

Once Again: "One Picture Worth a Thousand Words".

Guest Bobby Valines

When i first got my reatta about 5 month ago, the idle went up and down and had a hesitation when taking off. I cleaned the IAC. the hesitation and uneven idle quit with the A/c off, but with the A/C on it still has a uneven idle and a slight hesitation not as bad as before i cleaned it. I was thinking maybe replacing the IAC? With out the AC it is very responsive. I wouldn't mind replacing it, if it helps, but I'm not so sure. Any help would be greatly appreciative.

Guest steveskyhawk

Bobby,

I see you live in Florida where it is hot like here in California. Part of this hesitation problem could be ignition timing. I suggest that you (and everybody with a Reatta) get your prom reprogrammed. I had mine done on both my cars. The cooling fans now come on at a lower temperature which helps with the A/C, the torque converter locks up at 50 mph rather than 42 which makes for a better ride around town and the ignition timing is advanced which makes the car jump when the throttle is pressed. If you intend to keep the car long have it done.

Guest Bobby Valines

Steve how much did that cost? Did the timing thing affect your gas mileage? What kind of shop did you go to? Thank you for the information.

Guest CL_Reatta

I had thought that lock up was at 47? havent drivin the reatta (with a working tach that is) in over a year or else I would check myself.

Guest steveskyhawk

I don't remember what it cost. I don't check mileage. The throttle response was much better. I found a shop that specializes in late model Corvettes. When I first arrived the guy had a Z06 corvette on the dyno in high gear wide open. He asked to see the smog reports on my cars to see how much he could change the timing and still pass smog. Reprogramming my chip was everyday stuff. Find a speed shop or restoration shop and ASK THEM who does performance tunes on vettes that has a dyno. They will know.

Tom, go back to Ronnie's First Post on this Thread, then click on the blue portion of his sentence that says 'the information found here'

Guest MauiWowee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wayne2reattas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve ,

Do they have to put your car on a dyno to do this reprogramming? </div></div>

See Steve's post in this thread for a pic of his car on the dyno:

DYNO

wink.gifcool.gif

Guest steveskyhawk

Thanks Maui,

Wayne, they never dynoed my convertible. Seeing a front wheel drive car sitting with the rear wheels on the rollers is a hoot. My point is that I have had good luck getting things done to my cars. A shop that has fantastic equipment usually has some sharp personel.