Best manuals for MG ?

Guest abh3usn

I have the Bently manual for my MG but it is rather illogical in it's layout. Is the Haynes manual better as far as explanations, tasks, pictures exc. Anyone have an openion on which manual is best?

I can only speak from experience with Triumph manuals, but here goes:

The Bentley manual can't be beat for detail. It may be hard to find what you're looking for, but when you find it it'll be everything you wanted to know and more.

It's the "and more" that I often find to be the problem. The Bentley series gets complicated to use because there's so much information in there. If you're looking for a quick spec or a simple procedure they're not be the best choice. However, as "simple" and "working of Briish cars" rarely go together, no owner should be without one.

The Haynes manual is the best currently available/in Print (for TR's at least). They seem to keep it as simple as possible, and (better) do not refer to specialized tools unless absolutely necessary. (The Bentley manuals are based on British Leyland's factory manuals, and therefore do this frequently). The now defunct Clymer series is just as good, but sometimes it's hard to find used copies. The Chilton series tends to have too many cars crammed into too small a book (at least among imports), but are still useful. Finally there's also the old InterEurope manual series, which I've never used but is very similar to the Haynes manuals.

Bottom line, I found it useful to get one of each and follow the best procedures I could find among them.