'31 Trans Install

Tom M

Any pointers and how to get my trans reinstalled. I have been fighting it for the last 2 hrs. I just can't get the clutch plate center with the crank. I can take the whole clutch out and trans slides right in but once I put the clutch etc back in place I just can't for the life of me get the trans to go all the way in.

See I have room right now since I have sent the body off to be blasted again. This is why I wanted to get the trans reinstalled.

Thanks

If I read your question right, you can get the trans in w/o the clutch, but not with it. If so, this is just a matter of standard automotive repair technique. You need to use a pilot shaft through the clutch friction disk and into the pilot bearing to center the clutch around the pilot bearing before bolting it up. Then remove the pilot shaft and install the transmission. The best pilot shafts are old input shafts from a spare transmission, though most auto parts stores sell a sort of "one kind fits all" pilot shaft.

Owen,

So do you think one of the chain type auto parts store would carry this pilot shaft tool?

Doing some searching and found some. Are all the shafts standard sizes this one I found Clutch Alignment Shaft, 1-1/2" OD, 1" Pilot?

Thanks for your reply

Guest imported_Speedster

I've made several clutch pilot shafts (of various sizes) from pieces of wood broom-handle or dowel-rod, with duct-tape wraped around them to make them fit tight in clutch-disk. They worked Great! grin.gif

The fancy store-bought ones are great (if you can find the correct size) but not necessary.

Rick,

Great Idea. I do have some scrape steel rods or wait a minute I do have some 1" pvc piping. Amazing the tools we come up with grin.gif Going to go back out to garage now to give it a try

The best pilot shaft is a spare input shaft from the transmission as it's got to be a pretty precise fit into the clutch disc hub and the pilot bearing to work well. Find someone with a spare trans who is willing to loan you one, or if you make up something from wood or metal, it's got to be pretty precise to get the correct alignment.

A friend of mine who has a standard trans in his '70 Challenger came over with some of his Pilot tools. What he saw was I did not have the clutch evenly centered. So we loosened up the nuts he slide his tool in he centered the clutch and then we tighten the nuts back up. Lifted the trans with the floor jack (sure is much easier with two people) slide her in with a little wiggle to get is all the way in. Ahh now onto installing the drive shaft.

Thanks all for your input...

Guest imported_Speedster

Here's a pic of the pilot-guide I made for '29s clutch disks, using 1" dowel-rod and duct-tape, (very simple and works great):

post-33516-143138002324_thumb.jpg

If you can leave the pressure plate a little loose so the disk can move a with a little bit of work, then tighten the pressure plate up after the trans is installed fully.. or pick up a universial clutch tool at the jobbers..