64 Power Window Problems

DirtyDan

I'm getting ready to leave on a trip in my Riviera tomorrow and low and behold the driver side power window motor has quit working. I have taken apart the switch and cleaned the contacts, and that did nothing. All other windows work except the driver side. When I hit the button I can hear a faint noise that is less than a click. Are there any suggestions on where to check before I pull the door skin off my recently painted car (grounds, connectors etc...)? The window worked before but it would sometimes squeal when going up. Also, where can I find a new window motor locally if that is the problem? I have a parts car, but I pulled the driver side motor off and it is seized up. Are the other window motors the same?

Thanks,

Dan

Basically the same thing happened to me one night with my 84 convertible at the '05 ROA annual event. My top was down and someone came into the meeting room and announced it was starting to rain. I got the top up and all the windows except the right rear. One of the tech advisors had me open the open the door so I could observe the courtesy lights and then hit the switch for the window. The courtesy light dimmed and Kris said it was the motor. A couple of sharp smaks with a loooooong screwdriver and I was back in business.

Good luck, hopefully for you too, your motor is just stuck; perhaps a good rap on the door panel with the palm of your hand might do something.

Ed