Taillight switch

Guest cardinal905

Guest cardinal905

Howdy from central USA. On my 26 sedan, they had rigged up a pull type brake light switch. The switch is bad and I cant seem to find one locally---anybody know what was factory and where I can get something ?

Hey Cardinal,

My older cars have spring loaded toggle switches mounted next to the brake rod. A little U clamp mounted on the rod trips the toggle when the brake rod moves.

It is very simple and parts can be had at Radio Shack and your local hardware store. However, the brake switch you seek can also be had at www.restorationstuff.com page 4 of their pdf catalog.

Good luck,

If your switch is a pull off switch (ie when the pedal goes up it pulls the switch into an off position) it could be very similar to the switch on Pontiacs. There have been several for sale on ebay in the last couple of months. The switch I have is mounted flat on top of the bracket that holds the rear engine mount. It is about 1 1/2" by 3", a length wise tube on top and a short chain that attaches to the brake pedal.

Guest cardinal905

Actually it was a pull to make contact of current to the bulb. I hope to get to Radio Shack to check what Mark recommended. Thanks. Mike