Hard Start

Guest mtworkshop

Guest mtworkshop

My number 2 TC usually won't start on the first crank. It will start on the second try. It starts more easily if I open the throttle a bit. After start I smell fuel and occasionally get a bit of smoke. Fuel hoses are good. I have installed new fuel pressure regulator and have checked and rechecked the MAP and BAR solenoids. I also cleaned and greased the connections to the computer module. I suspect timing but cannot figure out how to shine the timing light past all that air filter stuff that hides the timing mark. No current codes.

Mike

Here is an answer to a similar problem from John Fleck a Mopar engineer and enthusiast at Turbo-Mopar.

Q.......Ive had crazy vaccuum probs with my car since ive had it. its a 89 shelby turbo2. it idles high and erratic,

A.........As far as the idle problem, I would lean toward the AIS sticking. It's a fairly common problem. Try taking it off and cleaning the throttle body especially the port bypass it uses and the AIS plunger itself with Throttle Body Cleaner. (Not carb cleaner - it's too harsh for the electrical stuff) Usually that will take care of it if it is sticking. Does the idle jump up occasionally when pulling up to a stop? I have seen cars with the Distance Sensor not working properly that caused high idle and other times, the car died as you pulled to a stop. This usually shows up with the distance sensor code though. (Code 15) You didn't mention if you got any codes or if you checked them. Good luck with it and keep us posted on what you find.

Guest mtworkshop

A quick recheck under the hood reveals that the throttle position stop screw has been backed out all the way at some point and there is a coat of very gooey oil inside the air out hose from the air cooler to the air cleaner box. I have adjusted the screw until it just hits the throttle stop and given it a quarter turn every time I start cold. So far there is no change. Next time I have a un-busy day I'll pull the throttle body and give it a good scrub. Thanks, Bill for the good ideas.

Mike