Help with vin number

Guest 1936 Ford Truck

Guest 1936 Ford Truck

Help with vin numbers

on drivers side head (motor) is stamped the letter "F" and numbers 4060508 and on the passenger side is "F" 4060498.

no other vin plate found, just a patent pending plate on firewall (passenger side) I have read other posting where others state the head numbers could be vin or part of it and others say vin plate should be next to motor on frame. No luck

I have looked all over frame from back to front

Any other places or does number on head have anyting to do with vin, NOTE the two numbers are slighty different from one another.

Thanks it is 1936 ford truck 1 ton, do you know anywhere I could look up vin

Greetings,

Your "F" numbers are casting/part #'s for the heads, that's why the two numbers. My source says for V-8 trucks the Serial Number is on top of frame, left side near dash. Also on top of clutch housing. The Motor Number is identical to the Serial Number, so that would be your "VIN."

Hope this helps,

TG

Guest 1936 Ford Truck

thanks for the info when you say motor number where would this be or are you refering to the number(s) on heads?

ok if on frame where should I look when I get to dash?

all your help is greatly appreciated

Look on the top of the frame, driver's side, near the dash. That's all I can provide. The casting numbers on the heads have nothing to do with the serial/motor number. I believe the motor number for Fords of that era is on the transmission housing, but I don't know where; I'd look on top of the tranny housing.

The range of serial/motor #'s for 1936 V-8 trucks on the 112" WHB begins at <span style="font-weight: bold">18-2207111 and up</span>

(bear in mind, though, that at some point the motor may have replaced).

Happy hunting!

TG

Guest 1936 Ford Truck

found it thanks,

under a lot of rust and dirt.

157 wheel base number was *BB 18-309...* so should be 36

what did BB stand for

• 1 month later...