Lock Rings and Wire Wheels

Steve Braverman

I began the task of mounting new tires on my Franklin yesterday. I've mounted many tires on split rims and drop center rims, but I've never dealt with lock rings before. I got to brush up on my profanity at least.

My question is regarding the tubes, or the valve stems to be specific. I bought the tubes with rubber stems that are supposed to be "hand bendable." Now I don't consider myself to be a complete weakling, but I can't seem to bend these things to save my life. Any thoughts? Did Universal send me the wrong tubes? If I leave the stem straight, it get stuck in the spokes.

Hope you installed tube flaps. If the wheel is set on a stack of plywood blocks so the back of the tire can't touch the floor installing the lock ring is a bit easier. Never had to bend a rubber stem but a length of pipe might help.

Guest stude8

Hope you saved a can of touchup paint after you painted the wheels. I don't think it is possible to mount snap rings without a half dozen tool scratches when it is over. The wood adapter wheel fixture is a must to get the rim off the floor to allow the tire to "Overbend" rearward when installing the rings. Good luck. Stude8