Amber ABS Light

Finally got my wipers fixed (new motor) now, I have an amber abs light that stays on. The mechanic at the Buick dealer pumped the pedal three or four times and the red abs light comes on. When this happens, if you keep your foot on the pedal, it will fade to the floor and then the red light goes out but the amber one stays on. The mechanic open the hood pointed to where the master cylinder would be and stated "It's somewhere in there." Any and all help appreciated. Note, I have done nothing to the brakes. The dealer did offer to let me use their service manual.

I was perplexed by a recurring Amber light issue recently myself. <P>I suggest starting with the Brakes section on the Reatta web page <A HREF="http://www.reatta.net/brakes.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.reatta.net/brakes.html</A> and then try using your Service manual to see what if any ABS error codes you may have stored in your ALDL. <P>After you’re “armed” with data from the testing and identify any error codes present. Share that info with members here and they will be better able to help you.<P>Good luck

Guest wally888

Latest update at reatta.net/brakes includes instructions for retrieving codes at ALDL and their meanings.

If you have not read the brake sections mentioned on the posts before this one, please do so. In the sections mentioned, there are tests you can perform that point out some problems. Service techs seem completely in the dark when it comes to these systems. The red brake light is a very important one to watch. If this light stays on for more than about 45 seconds at anytime, do not drive the car!!!! When the red light comes on, it means the system has no pressure. When the amber light comes on, it simply means that there is no ABS function. The brakes will still work, just not in ABS mode. Of course when you start your car, both of these lights do come on, but should go off in a short time. They do stay on a little longer if the car has set overnight. There are a number of causes why the amber light would stay on. An ABS computer problem (located on the drivers side rear wheel well in the trunk), sensors, wiring, pressure valves. Just any number of things. Just so you will know, since your tech does not, most of the major braking system items are mounted on the firewall in front of the driver. Opening the hood, you will see it all. Including a black sphere which is called the accumulator. This device is where the brake pressure is stored This item wears out over time and seems to be the most common failure in the main braking system. Also it is a good idea to flush the system once a year at least. Howard<p>[ 07-28-2002: Message edited by: Howard ]

Guest Greg Ross

Also, consider where the subject Wiper Motor Work was just done. Right on top of the Master Cylinder.<BR>Another suggestion, based on age, electrical connections oxidize and can make intermittant contact. Of particular interest should be the three relays right at the top of the Firewall on the driver's side. Two of these factor into the ABS as I recall, if they were disturbed during the Wiper Motor work there's a possibility it's as simple as that. These relays are located in what is a "Hot" climate, they should be replaced-just because. Search on "Relays" and you'll most likely find that discussion. This is definitely <B>NOT</B> a cureall. There's been a tremendous amount of effort put into this ABS System concern. Read, Learn, Test and Flush. Not necessarily in that order.