88 alarm

alesco

On my new? 88 coupe, something funny seems to be going on with the alarm. From what I gather, the alarm activates only when the door is locked with the power locks which makes sense. What doesn't make sense is when I open the door with the key, the alarm goes off. What I finally figured out is that when the alarm is set, I must unlock the passenger door before opening the driver door to prevent the alarm from sounding. This isn't the way it's supposed to be, is it? Also, the previous owner installed a second theft device which I think disables the engine from starting. Could the wiring on this device be the problem? Is there a solution?

I believe that the factory alarm disables the engine. It sounds like the wiring on the drive side lock is disconnected. <BR>Theory of operation is once the door is locked {from inside or out} the system is armed. The system must see the key turn the lock to unlock position to disarm. If the lock is popped or window broken and unlocked by inside switch the alarm sounds.<BR>Some after market installers of remote start or alarm systems get lazy. They sometimes jump out the micro switch on the lock rather than install a relay to keep the factory system working correctly. Of course with out the service manual they just go to the lock instead of the wiring harness.