26 MARVEL CARB PARTS

Guest cardinal905

Guest cardinal905

I may need a float and float valve for a brass Marvel carb on a 26 Standard Six, anybody have a lead---Bobs Automobila dont have and dont know where to look ?

I suggest you make your own float using Crazy-Glue & wine corks. You can use a grinder or sander to make the right shape & coat it with Crazy-Glue or model airplane dope to seal it from modern gasolines.

The needle valve can usually be lapped in it's seat to provide a good seal. Adjust the float to bring the level in the float bowl 1/16" below the top of the main jet. Always use a shut off valve ahead of the carburator anytime you park the car for awhile because metal seated needle valves almost always leak.

post-41092-143137985091_thumb.jpg

post-41092-143137985094_thumb.jpg

I used some sheet brass and soldered up a metal float for my carb. When ethanol started being available it removed the shellac coating from my cork float. I was able to use an early 60's needle an seat as a replacement. The only modification was to the top of the needle where it attached to the float arm. Both were relatively easy modifications. The needle and seat have worked since 1960 (almost 380,000 miles) and the flost has been great for two years (24,000 miles.

Guest cardinal905

Thanks, I just wonder why it is a problem---I bought the car a month ago and it ran like a top, I drove it about 30 miles and two weeks later I started it and she was sooting up. I think it is due to a flooding bowl as when I shut the gas off it runs fine for a couple minutes---it also runs fine for 10 seconds when 1st started. I have yet to confirm that by pulling the lid off when running. The 1/16 of an inch thing is a great help.