• 5 weeks later...
Guest imported_Matt M, PA

I bought a 2005 Excursion XLT new. (For 10 years I towed with a 1994 351 Bronco.)

I bought a V10 for many reasons. First it was much quieter, and I liked the throttle response. It also was loads cheaper. If you do the math (and I did back then...when was diesel was cheaper) it would have taken 80,000 miles or more for the fuel economy to make up the difference in maintainence costs, purchase cost, etc. I do realize that diesels usually hold a better value...but I plan to keep mine as long as possible so that's not a concern to me. Finally, it took me 10 years to put 90,000 miles on the Bronco...and the Ex now shows 30,000. I have no problems on grades with mine, but it requires a bit of new mindset. These modular engines need to rev...unlike the older big blocks and diesels. It pulls fine...just let 'er rev. She'll upshift if she needs to.

My V10 gets right about 9.5-10MPG towing an enclosed trailer w/car that is 7000 pounds total. Keeping the Ex to about 60 MPH makes the difference. Winding her up tighter brings the mileage down a good bit. Now, an Ex is substantially heavier than a SD...so SD mileage may be better. If I behave myself on a mixed tank 13MPG is not out of the question...not towing. A vehicle that big or heavy is never going to be a mileage champ. I know people with Grand Cherokees that get less mileage that my Ex.

One thing many V10 guys do is swap to a 4:10 gear set. While mine is still stock a 3:73 (I think), those that have swapped them said it keeps the engine in the powerband and really wakes it up around town.

While the original poster did not mention whether it was for an Excursion or SD truck...but a response mentions Excursions....I'd like to clarify some things.

Firstly, Excursions of any model came with rear sway bars if the trailer towing package was selected. I ordered mine with this package and it does have the bar.

The best investment for these trucks (and I'd say the SDs too) is a Roadmaster Active Suspension. You can look it up on line, but basically it's coilspring that mounts above your rear springs and is stretched when your leaf springs compress. They are very reasonable on price and easy to install. The truck takes tongue weight better....handles much better empty or laden...but the ride does not suffer.

Lots of good Ford truck info at www.ford-truck.com.