Rookie needs help

Guest cardinal905

Guest cardinal905

Just bought a 1926 model 27 sedan and need advice on lubrication, what is the recomended oil for motor and transmission. Also what grease should I use for the zerk fittings, just a good quality white? Any other maintenance advice would be greatly appreciated, as this is my 1st old car.

Rookie,

Just about any clean oil, gear lube or grease is better than the old stuff still in your car. There are lots of opinions about lubricants. Do a search on this forum and be prepared to read lots of comments. Just make sure you change it every year in the fall before you store the car for the winter.

I use regular 30wt non-detergent oil (Others will post the benefits of detergent oils here as there have been several opinions on the subject. I believe it is OK for fresh rebuilt engines.). My opinion is that in old engines detergent oils can loosen deposits that are not adequately removed by the old style partial filtering systems. Some cars don't even have oil filters.

I use 250WT pure mineral oil for all my transmissions and rear ends. It will not harm "yellow metals" in the older transmissions and the high viscosity helps with faster and smoother shifting.

White, Green, Purple, or any other color grease will work to lube your car. I use a good quality general purpose grease in a pneumatic gun that makes the job much easier. You will have to use a Zirk adapter in a modern gun if you have the two pin style fittings.

Mark is right about any new oil being better than what was available when your car was new.

I prefer 10w30 detergent for the engine.

I'd recomend using 600W for the transmission. It's available from any of the Model A Ford parts suppliers. The thicker oil makes shifting easier.