Removing Alternator

Tacoma

I will be removing the alternator on my 90 reatta next week to have it rebuilt. I see 2 bolts at the top and left side, plus what looks to be a plug and 2 wires coming out of it at the top. I will assume the bolts get removed like any others, but how does the plug wires assembly (It seems pretty tight) come loose? does it just get pulled out or are there some hidden clips that I can't see. Also is there any other hidden bolts or wires underneath it. Should I dis-connect the battery first? I'll be sending the alternator in for rebuild. They tell me it shouldn't be more than a day. Cost in this area $90 to 120. Buick dealer wants 450 to remove, rebuild and replace. WoW. Non mechanic.

Guest F14CRAZY

Sorry I can't remember if there's any hidden clips for the harness connector. It's good to disconnect the battery though because I find it's rather easy to let the positive cable touch something when removing it

Disconnect the battery.

* there is a heavy red wire on the back side with a protective cover (if someone has not broken it) remove the cover and unscrew the nut.

* Unplug the connector for the other wires.

* Remove the fan belt (accessory drive belt)

* Remove two bolts

* Remove altinator.

Hi Jerry, just to give you a guage on the price you're paying, gmpartsdirect.com charges $146.86 for the alternator plus, of course, shipping. Sounds like the rebuild option for approximately $100.00 is a solid one.

John