Instrument Cluster and radio go out

m_goep

I just purchased two 88 Reattas and both have the same problem. Sometimes (alot of times) the instrument Cluster and radio both go out. I checked the fuses and it seems the Accessory fuses get hot when the dash and radio go out ?? I purchased a reman BCM for $88 but it did not fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

No there are some relays next to the body control module and they click when the cluster goes out. What is weird is if I check the wire going to the accessory relay ground. When the cluster is working that ground is fine when the cluster goes out the ground gets power to it>????? What is also weird is the radio still works if you push on the radio button you can play the radio but nothing else works.

It has to be a short somewhere?? Do ya think?

I would start with figuring out eactly what circuit you are looking at and what the circuit is doing.

The gound being there sounds to me like you have a path to ground through a electrical component when that component is energized. Kind of like seeing a ground on the positive side of your dome light when it is on. close the door and that path to ground now seems to have switched to positive even knowing all that happened is the path to ground was completed when the light was on.

Your issue is most likely not relays. interior relays very rarely go bad. I will take a look at the system and see what components are involved in both systems.

Guest Mike_s

I had a similar problem with my 88, it was eventualy resolved by replacing the power supply located under the dash and near the steering column.

I had no success with a unit selected from the NAPA web site, but purchased from a local store, the counter guy said he had came up with an intial different part number but that the part number suggested by the web site should work, again, the rebuilt unit did not solve the intial problem, in fact it caused a differnt set of problems with the displays.

A 19 year old unit out of a junk yard solved the problem.

I was told by a friend of a friend who is a master tech who used to work at a Buick Dealership that it is the CPC which is under the console, and that that is typical???

Is this any help or just nonsense.

Guest Mike_s

The power supply I referred to has been called the "central power supply" at this site, and the "Power Supply Module" on NAPA'a site. It was, as I recall, a bit of a pain to find on suppliers websites because of it's different names.

I'm not sure what "CPC" means, pehaps Central Power Controller.

But, the master tech and I were both refering to a unit which is located under the console, so it's posibly the same thing