Leaking Brake Fluid Cap??

fsc2

Does anybody know if the brake fluid reservoir cap is prone to leaking. I cleaned all of the leaking brake fluid off of the reservoir and surrounding areas (below the reservoir tank), so everything was dry. I took the car for a spin, popped the hood and there was brake fluid running down the side of the reservoir from the cap. I removed the cap and there is a flat rubber gasket that appears to be fine.

Wondering if this is a typical problem, maybe that flat seal needs replacing????

Seems a little strange, I was expecting something else to be leaking in that brake assembly, then again the lights are not illuminated on the dash!

Any advice is welcomed, thanks!

Ronnie,

Yeah I feel dumb! You hit the nail right on the head. When I looked under the hood last night, there was the sticker..."Clean the cap and pump 25 times". Apparently I only read the "clean the cap" portion.

Just from sitting there overnight, brake fluid was everywhere again and the reservoir was to the top. I removed some fluid, performed the "25 brake pumps", checked the fluid level and ended up removing some more.

I am aticipating that my leaking cap problem will be solved.

Once again, I would like to thank this forum for existing.

Guest Greg Ross

The 25 pumps is to discharge the accumulator/ de-pressure from the boost feature of your ABS. When you turn on the ignition the brake fluid gets pumped up into the accumulator, that steel orb on the top of the Master Cylinder/ Pump assembly on the firewall. You've got it figured out now, if you top up the resevoir without draining down the accumulator you'll overflow definitely.