What kind of oil for transmission 1950 Desoto ?

ThomasBorchers

Go to the auto parts store or tractor supply store for a gallon of tractor oil TDH (transmission, differential and hydraulic) oil ISO32 grade. This is a lifetime supply and costs under $10 bucks.

It is good for both the fluid drive unit and the transmission.

They are filled separately in 2 different holes. If you look for threads on "fluid drive" in the Chrysler and Dodge sections you will find much info on the driving and maintaining of these transmissions.

Transmission oil is supposed to be changed every 10,000 miles or once a year. Fluid drive should be checked and if necessary topped up once a year, but never needs changing.

The transmission holds 2 1/2 pints of oil.

They are one of the early efforts at an automatic drive, and have characteristics of both manual and automatic transmissions. As a rule they are very rugged long lived and trouble free. But do require a driving technique all their own.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest De Soto Frank

Hi Thomas,

If the ISO 32 fluid that Rusty mentioned is difficult to find, you can also use SAE 10 non-detergent motor oil in the gearbox, and to top-off the Fluid Coupling.

The ISO-32 Tractor Hydraulic Fluid does have anti-foaming agents that make it better-suited for use in the Fluid Coupling.

Good luck !

• 3 weeks later...
Guest leadsled1953

i used 10 wt non detergent motor oil. i bought several cases of castrol 10wt nd at a napa store in NJ.agway has the ISO32 .when you fill the transmison coupler wrap a rag around the hole so you cannot drop the fill plug .

Guest leadsled1953

the fluid drive is a different driving experence for sure.if you go over to the Imperial Club website they have the best repair info for 50s mopars.they have several on trouble shooting fluid drive problems.

Yesterday I noticed the TDH fluid for sale at Walmart. It was $6.93 a gallon.

They also had Castrol and some other oil company's brand, besides their own brand.

The oil company brands had a different name but they were the same thing. To be sure it's the right stuff look on the label. If it says it contains additives to protect hydraulic pumps and gears it will be good for your trans and fluid drive unit.

Guest leadsled1953

tractor supply has a gallon jug of 10 wt non detergent motor oil .i forget what the price.when buying 10 wt just make sure its a good grade of oil.i remember calling calling an oil company to ask about the 10 wt oil they sold.the guy ask me what i was using it for .when i told him it was for my desoto transmission he said No ,its not up to the standard you need.after that i bought 70 qts of castrol 10 wt nd which should last me a few years

• 2 months later...
Guest Bob Call

Thomas

My shop manual says to use 10W engine oil (non detergent) down to zero degrees F. Zero and below, dilute the oil with 10% kerosene.