tanker truck & welding

wenthur

I have sent in a picture of my "29 tanker, and we finally got brake springs!! but all the pictures I have found of this truc has a shirt welded to side of tank to cover undercarriage and then an 8"x8" box the length of the tank {probably for hoses} My question is who long does tank need to be empty before it can be welded on? also what type closers would be used on the hose boxes, since one end has to open to get hose in and out.

The brake fluid looked a lot like dirty crisco, but I think we got it clean out.

You can't live long enough for a fuel tank to be safe to weld on empty! Fill the tank full of water would be the safe way to weld. The skirt you saw could be the wooden frame stringer running the length of the frame. The the cross stringers would have been cut to cradle the tank with the side boxes mounted on top. The boxes would have had four sides with a hinged top,the ones I have seen used barn strap hinges. Many of the side boxes were also left open on top as they were used to carry oil and gas cans. When delivered bucket were used to measure and transfer fuel to storage containers as these trucks didn't have pumps.

Chuck

Guest austinsailor

The pros would fill the tank with co2 before welding. Pushes out the oxygen so nothing can explode inside. You have to know the volume of the tank, then put the appropriate amount of gas in it.