What is the trick to restore Delco Distrib serial tag?

Guest stude8

Guest stude8

I would like to restore the serial tag on a 1931 vintage distributor and wonder what the fill paint process was?

The original tag was photo etched Aluminum and the raised letters are in good shape so I cleaned it to bare metal have tried black enamel fill but can't clean off the raised letters without ruining the fill paint.

Anyone do this before me with good results? I am wondering if they used lacquer fill and then wiped the lettering with a flat absorbent tool with some solvent on it.

The replacement reproduction tags I have seen are only silk screened flat stock that don't look very authentic compared to the photo etched originals.

Stude8

Pulfer and Williams were the place for Authentic decals. I have both the useless repro's that look fake from 10 yards and the Bill Williams ones,like original.

Perhaps this helps Bill Williams died last September. Pulfer and Williams was purchased by Eric and Vivian Lavine, in Indiana.

574-773-7561

I've restored my own with a fine cloth wrapped tightly aroumd a small metal rod, wetted this in solvent and kind of rolled the extra paint off.

it will do but has nothing to do with a 100 point.

Good luck Johan

Guest stude8

Johan, thank you for the tip. Using a rod is a good idea, I didn't think of that angle until you suggested it. What diameter rod did you use just to save some experiment time?

Oh yes, did you use enamel or lacquer for fill?

Stude8