1936 Oldsmobile question

Jacob_E

I just joined the Olds Club because I purchased a '36 Olds business coupe. I have a few questions I hope ya'll can help me with. First one, should I look into putting an oil filter on this engine, or should I just settle for changing the oil more often. Second question, does anyone have a right tailight for sale? If so please let me know. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I try to get this car on the road.

I wouldn't worry about an oil filter. My Pontiac came with a partial flow (by-pass) filter (the type normally added to you vintage). The filters for mine are very very rare. I have 12 of them. Since 1959 this car has been my daily driver. At 280,000 miles I overhauled the engine. It now has 485,000 miles on it. Nearrly all of them without the benefit of a filter. I found that when a new filter was installed it warmed up (indicating oil flow) for about 500 miles, after that it didn't filter any oil as the oil was by-passing the filter. Because of the scaricity of replacements I drive without one. I use good modern single grade oil and change it every three months (3,000 miles). I find that my oil level is down about a quart in this length of time. I havn't had to add oil between changes since I overhauled the engine 20 years ago.

Just use good oil and change it regularly.

Thanks for the info. I have a 1952 Pontiac and 67 Lemans as well as this new Oldsmobile. I'm impressed with how dependable my Pontiacs are. My Lemans had 225,000 miles before it needed rebuild. Again, I appreciate the advice.

Guest oldsmobile1915

How many miles are you going to be driving your olds yearly? That should determine the oil filter "?"... an oil filter was an option on the older vehicles, so they are out there.

as for tail lights... have you tried Fusick Automotive and or hemmings motor news?

Do a google on them and you can find just about anything.

Best of luck,

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I have another question I hope someone can answer. How do I get a locking gas cap off when I don't have the key for it. I also need to get the ignition cylinder out since I don't have the key to it as well. I have a new cylinder and key, but I can't use it till the old one is removed. This is particularly frustrating as I have freed the engine and I'm hoping to get it to run. Thanks for the help.

P.S. Isn't it amazing how people lose the keys to thier cars, even if they store them to preserve the car. Oh well. Also I have attached a picture of the car as well, and since I'm an Aggie, I got rid of those hideous Texas Longhorn stickers.

post-56091-14313797747_thumb.jpg

post-56091-143137977506_thumb.jpg

Guest 36OldsEight

Jacob,

Not sure if yours is different than the way mine is set up, but the ignition should be just screwed into the housing on the dash - not much for security, but then again if someone wants to steal it, they are certainly going to (thats why mine is sitting on blocks - better security smile.gif oh yeah - and the salt)

As for the taillight - the rights are a little more difficlt to find as they were an option on the 6 cyl cars. I am actually looking for a left as mine is damaged.

Good to see that there are more 36's out there! I haven't been on the board in a while, but now that it finally stopped snowing I am getting the itch!

Chris

• 2 months later...

After pulling the head of my engine I have decided to pull the engine and rebuild it. I have a favor to ask. Somewhere along the line this car lost its lower clutch housing. I'm going to Iola in July and I was hoping someone could do me a big favor and take a picture of the lower clutch housing to a 36 six cylinder for me if you have one available. I'm going to put this in the parts wanted section as well because obviously, it is a part that I need. Thank you to everyone, you have been very helpful.