63 rear window rust

petelempert

I am getting ready to have my 63 repainted. The car had some minor rust on one floorpan (fixed that) and I've always known I'd have to deal with the rear window. The trunk leaks thru the glass area, and I'm sure the window frame has rust damage. Now that I'm getting into it I can see that the sheetmetal inside the car beneath the glass(package tray area) has some rust thru on one side. I'm sure once the glass comes out, I'll have some work to do. I've got a good body guy, but I want to get the sheetmetal, in addition to the actual frame fixed. Anybody have this same situation? Any ideas on sources for the metal beneath the glass? Any general advice? I'm sure I'm not the only guy out there with a leaky rear window and I know you always find more than expected with rusty situations like this. Thx PRL

Guest Buick Bonery

Pete, many of the early Riv's had this rust through. I might have a good rear window. Once you get your window out, take a picture of what it looks like and I'll see if I can find a replacement.

Mike

Buick Bonery

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Buick Bonery

Yes, I meant to say the rear window frame, and no, it is not from a wrecked car, it is from a car that has seen its glory days and now wants to share its history with other cars so that they too may command the highways with style and power.